Diabetes means the body does not produce adequate insulin or use it properly. Nowadays in India, the percentage of diabetes cases are increasing day by day. We can see diabetes from small children’s too old person. Only yoga for Diabetes patient is the best and simple way to manage and control blood sugar.
Cause of Diabetes
Diabetes may be due to obesity, lack of exercise, tension and stress related problems. Due to stress the blood sugar level increases and we can say that people suffering from diabetes.
- Excessive thirst
- Slow healing of wounds
- Frequent urination
- Blurry vision
- Poor eyesight
- Itching in the body
- Low sexual power
Complications of Diabetes
- Eye complications
- Kidney problems
- Neurological problems
- Heart diseases
- Foot problems
- Skin complications
- Dental disease
- Sexual problems
There are 2 types of diabetes Type1 and Type 2
Type 1 is due to No production of Insulin in the body. It is due to heredity and so it is hard to prevent.
Type 2 is due to lifestyle. As we stated above like Obesity, lack of exercise, stress, and tension related problems.
Yoga for a diabetes patient is the best medicine. Regularly practicing yoga can prevent diabetes. Yoga and pranayama help to manage diabetes and maintain the sugar level.
Type 1 Diabetes is difficult (not impossible) to treat with yoga but Type 2 Diabetes can be cured with yoga.
Tips for Diabetic patients
- Diet should be high in fiber. Increase intake of vegetables and fruits.
- Milk is essential in controlling blood sugar level.
- Avoid sugar in your diet.
- Avoid rice in diet and eat chapatis.
- Avoid fatty foods.
- Try to lose weight.
- Avoid stress and be happy always, due to stress blood sugar level get increased.
- If you are a non-vegetarian then avoid non-veg daily but can have twice in a week.
- Yoga and exercises in the morning is very important which help to decrease sugar level. Along with other forms of exercises (jogging, walking), yoga helps a lot to control and prevent diabetes. The twisting and the stretching in many of the yoga asanas (postures) stimulate the pancreas and enhance the production of insulin.
- Avoid fruits which are high in sugar and consume fruits which are high in fiber such as Apple, orange, papaya, pear, and guava.
Yoga asanas for diabetes
Several yoga asanas (postures) that have been found to be especially effective for diabetes include:
1. Surya Namaskar yoga for diabetes (Sun Salutations)
How to do namaskar yoga?
- Stand in front of your mat with your hands in namaskara
- Inhaling raise your arms above your head and bend your body backward.
- Exhaling bend forward bringing your chest towards your thighs and your hands towards the floor.
- Inhaling lunge your left leg straight back behind you.
- Extending to plank position standing your right leg back, bend your elbows lowering your chest, chin to the floor, hold your breath, inhaling raise your head and rib cage
- Exhale tucking your toes and lifting your hips up.
- Inhale in the lunge pose stepping your leg forward.
- While exhaling standing forward bend again.
- Inhale into the arms reaching upward, exhale for making the sun salutation and coming back to standing position.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar yoga
Surya Namaskar yoga is an extremely beneficial for diabetic patients. Regular practice of this yoga improves the blood circulation of the pancreas and enhances utilization of insulin in the body. If perform Surya Namaskar at a slow pace (6 rounds a minute), it works best to give you major benefits.
2. Dhanurasana yoga for diabetes (Bow pose)
How to do Dhanurasana?
Lie on your stomach with your chin on the mat. Reach both arms forward. Then, bend your right knee and extend your right arm behind you, taking hold of your right ankle.
Inhale while inhaling raise or lift the both the thighs off the floor and your heels away from your head, simultaneously get your head off the floor. You are trying to get your head and toes close to each other. Look at your forehead trying to keep your knees close to each other. The whole body’s balancing on the abdomen. Hold the posture for 20-30 sec with normal breathing. Gradually release the posture to avoid any type of jerk. Try to make each movement as smooth as possible.
Avoid this posture if you have abdominal pain, severe back pain, any kind of neck injury.
Benefits of Dhanurasana
- Dhanurasana is a yoga pose (exercise) improves the functioning of pancreas and intestines and is good for diabetes. Regular practice of Dhanurasana fully energizes the pancreas.
- Many diabetic patients suffer from pains such as arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs and ankles. Dhanurasana helps in improving the strength and relieve pain.
- Dhanurasana strengthens spine and heart and regulates pulse, also improves digestion, relieves constipation and flatulence.
3. Bhujangasana yoga for diabetes (cobra pose)
Bhujangasana also was known as cobra pose. This posture is found very beneficial in the treatment of diabetes, asthma, bronchitis, and spondylitis. It also improves the efficiency of the abdomen and aids digestion.
How to do Bhujangasana?
Lie on your abdomen, palms to the side of your shoulders. Slowly raise your head and straighten the elbows. The arms may or may not be straight. Hold the position for few seconds. Slowly release the upper back by bringing the arms, lower the navel, chest, shoulders and finally the forehead to the floor.
Benefits of the Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Opens up the shoulders and neck.
- Tones the abdomen.
- Strengthens the entire back and shoulders.
- Improves flexibility of the upper and middle back.
- Expands the chest
- Improves blood circulation
- Reduces fatigue and stress
- Useful for people with respiratory disorders such as asthma.
4. Shalabhasana yoga for Diabetes
How to do Shalabhasana?
Lie on your stomach and place your hand’s palms up below your body with your palms supporting your thumb. While taking a deep breath in raise your right leg as high as you can hold your breath and your leg in this position for as long as you can bring your leg down slowly releasing your breath at the same time. Repeat the same now with your left leg control your breath. Keep your movements as slow as you can. While raising and lowering your legs breath control is a vital part of all yoga asanas so keep your breath as controlled as you can.
Breathing in raise both legs off the ground as high as you can hold in this position as long as you can sustain. Your breath brings your legs down slowly while exhaling this asana strengthen your back abdominal your leg muscles and hip joints.
Benefits of Shalabhasana
- Shalabhasana is good for treatment of diabetes, back pain, stomach and digestive disorders, rheumatism, and arthritis.
- It strengthens the whole body especially the neck, chest, waist, back. It prolongs life besides providing peace and calmness.
5. Paschimottanasana yoga for diabetes (seated forward bend)
How to do Paschimottanasana?
Sit down with legs stretched out straight. Place both hands above in namaskara position. Bend slowly and touch the feet with hands. Now gently bend the head downwards with face resting on the legs. Maintain normal breathing and stay in the posture for 5- 10 sec. Repeat this three times.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana
- Stretches lower back and thigh muscles, hip joint strength
- Tone up abdominal and pelvic organs
- Stimulates liver, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus
- Prevents diabetes and Paschimottanasana in males it removes infertility and increase fertility factor
- helpful in common ailments such as back pain, head ache, stomach pain, and piles
6. Yoga mudrasana for diabetes (yogic symbol pose)
How to do yoga mudrasana?
Perform padmasana, the lotus posture. Take the arms behind your back and catch your left wrist with your right hand. Bend forward until your head is touching the ground. When ready to release the posture and come back step by step to the starting position.
Benefits of yoga mudrasana
- It strengthens abdomen and it’s the internal organs
- It relieves indigestion and constipation
- In women, it stimulates the ovaries and the uterus
- It combats with premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
- It removes excess of fat in the abdominal region and helps in weight loss.
- It increases shoulder mobility by decreasing the shoulder stiffness in diabetic patients
- It stimulates organs like pancreas, liver which in turn helps in controlling the diabetes
- It increases the memory power.
7. Padahastasana yoga for diabetes (hand under foot pose)
How to do Padahastasana?
Inhale slowly and raise your arms up. Stretch up the body from the waist. Exhale and bend forward until the entire palm rests on the ground maintain this final posture for 10 to 30 seconds. Those who have a stiff back should bend according to their capacity now inhale come up slowly to the vertical position and stretch the arms above the head exhale and slowly return to the starting position.
Benefits of Padahastasana yoga
Padahastasana helps in direct stimulation of the organs and glands in the abdominal region, such as the pancreas kidneys and liver. Padahastasana also helps to strengthen abdominal muscles and improve the function of abdominal organs.
For more information, do get in touch with us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on WhatsApp at +91-9640378378.
Have a question?
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!