Table of content
- What is Terifrac?
- Terifrac Composition and Active Ingredients
- Terifrac Uses and Benefits
- How Does Terifrac Work?
- Terifrac Side Effects
- Terifrac Dosage
- Terifrac Contraindications
- Precautions to be taken while using Terifrac
- Drug interactions of Terifrac
- Substitute brands of Terifrac
What is Terifrac?
Terifrac is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of osteoporosis in both male and female patients who have a high risk of fractures due to weak bones. In the case of women patients, it is most likely prescribed in the postmenopausal state as they are at a high-risk rate of possible fractures. This medicine is available in injection form.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its uses, how it works, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended, precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, and drug interactions, etc.
Terifrac Composition and Active Ingredients
Teriparatide is the key ingredient of Terifrac medicine.
Manufactured By– Terifrac is manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – This medicine is available asPenfill Injection form which is administered as subcutaneous injection mode.
Drug Type – Teriparatide which is a key ingredient in Terifrac is a synthetic medicine which is similar to the naturally occurring parathyroid hormone in human beings. Teriparatide is approved by the FDA since 2002.
Protein chemical formula of the Teriparatide– C181H291N55O51S2
Terifrac Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Terifrac.
- Occasionally prescribed for a speedy recovery from a fracture as an off-label prescription drug
How does the medication works?
The active ingredient Teriparatide in Terifrac is a kind of synthetic parathyroid hormone and it works by boosting the activity of osteoblasts. Osteoblasts are the kind of cells that aid to form new bone cells in the body. So it’s usage helps to strengthen the bone cells and thereby reduces the possibility of bone fractures.
Terifrac Side Effects
Given below are some possible side effects of Terifrac usage.
- Abdominal Pain
- Weight Loss
- Injection site reactions such as pain, swelling, redness
- Joint pains
- Cramps in the legs
Terifrac may likewise cause reactions not recorded here. If any adverse effects are noticed from using Terifrac, please consult your doctor as this may need immediate medical attention.
Take Terifrac precisely as directed by the specialist. It can be taken with or without food. Do not take in bigger or littler sums than prescribed. Consult the specialist if you encounter any unfortunate side effects of Terifrac. Seek emergency therapeutic help or contact the specialist in the event of an overdose.
Here is a set of conditions when Terifrac is not recommended to use. Terifrac ought not to be utilized on the off chance that you have the accompanying conditions:
- Not recommended to use in young patients and children where there is still natural growth of bones is still there.
- In patients with high levels of calcium or alkaline phosphatase in the blood.
- In patients with overactive parathyroid glands.
- Patients suffering from kidney stones.
- Patients suffering from any sort of bone cancers.
- Patients receiving any kind of radiation treatment that involves exposure to bones.
Precautions to be taken while using Terifrac
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Terifrac injection is not advised to use more than 24 months.
- This medicine is administered as a subcutaneous injection preferably at the abdominal region or thigh region.
- Some may experience dizziness after the usage and preferable advised to stay at resting position such as lying down or sit for some time until you feel normal.
- Bring it to your doctor’s notice if you feel low energy levels, nausea, constipation, and muscle weakness.
- It is advised to use only after consulting your doctor in case of pregnancy and breastfeeding conditions.
Drug interactions of Terifrac
Terifrac may show drug interaction if used in combination with other medicine, hence it is not advised to use certain medication while using this one. Below mentioned are some examples of medicines that Terifrac may show drug interaction with.
Medicines that interact when used along with Terifrac
- Calcipotriene Topical
- Calcitriol Topical
Interaction with alcohol
- Alcohol – It may result in excessive drowsiness if used along with the consumption of alcohol. It is advised to consult your doctor if you have a habit of taking alcohol on a daily basis.
Disease interactions of Terifrac
- Metabolic Bone Disorder
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Renal Impairment
It is important to share the information about the medication that you might be using with your doctor to avoid possible adverse effects.
Substitute brands of Terifrac
Below mentioned brands of medicines contain the same composition as of Terifrac, hence your doctor may prescribe any of them as an alternative to Terifrac injection.
- Osteri – Manufactured by Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Bonmax PTH – Manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Bonista – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Gemeinde – Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Zotide – Manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Rockbon PTH – Manufactured by Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.