Table of content
- What is Terazosin?
- Terazosin Composition and Active Ingredients
- Terazosin Uses and Benefits
- How Does Terazosin Work?
- Terazosin Side Effects
- Terazosin Dosage
- Terazosin Contraindications
- Precautions while taking Terazosin
- Drug interactions of Terazosin
What is Terazosin?
Terazosin is a generic name of medicine prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension and also prescribed in some male patients suffering from an enlarged prostate (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia-BPH). Patients suffering from BPH may suffer from urination issues. This medicine helps to relax the peripheral muscles surrounding the prostate and part of the bladder.
Terazosin belongs to the group of medicine called peripherally acting antiadrenergic agents (alpha-blockers). In general, this medicine aids to relax the blood vessels and eases easy blood flow hence minimizes the blood pressure.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its benefits, how to use, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended and precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, etc.
Terazosin Composition and Active Ingredients
Terazosin itself is an active ingredient molecule and is available in different brands and variants in the market.
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – Tablets
Drug Type – Belongs to the class of drugs called peripherally acting antiadrenergic agents
Below mentioned are various brands of Terazosin medicine available:
- Hytrin 1 Tablet (composition – Terazosin (1mg)) – Manufactured by Abbott Laboratories Pharmaceuticals
- Hytrin 2 Tablet (composition – Terazosin (2mg)) – Manufactured by Abbott Laboratories Pharmaceuticals
- Hytrin 5 Tablet (composition – Terazosin (5mg)) – Manufactured by Abbott Laboratories Pharmaceuticals
- Vicard T 2 mg Tablet (composition – Terazosin (2mg)) – Manufactured by Abbott Laboratories Pharmaceuticals
- Terapress 2 Tablet (composition – Terazosin (2mg)) – Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Prostrin 1 mg Tablet (composition – Terazosin (1mg)) – Manufactured by Lap Farmacia Ltd
- Prostrin 5 mg Tablet (composition – Terazosin (5mg)) – Manufactured by Lap Farmacia Ltd
- Terapress 1 Tablet (composition – Terazosin (1mg)) – Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Teralfa 1 mg Tablet (composition – Terazosin (1mg)) – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Gotera 2 mg Tablet (composition – Terazosin (2mg)) – Manufactured by CMG Biotech Pvt. Ltd.
Terazosin Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Terazosin.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
How Does Terazosin Work?
Verapamil, which is the key ingredient in Terazosin, belongs to the class of medicine called peripherally acting antiadrenergic agents. It works by relaxing the blood vessels to ease the smooth blood flow. In male patients suffering from Benign prostatic hyperplasia, this medicine works by relaxing the peripheral muscles of the prostate enlarged gland and also relaxing the bladder to ease the urination.
Terazosin Side Effects
When some type of medicine is used, it is very important to consider the side effects of that medicine before choosing to use.
Most common Side effect –
- Unusual weakness or tiredness
Below mentioned are some very rare possible side effects but have to be considered seriously if they occur and needs immediate medical attention.
- Orthostatic hypotension (Sensation of lightheadedness or weakness while in standing position)
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in legs
- Cardiac Arrhythmias (Increased heart rate)
Dosage of Terazosin depends on blood pressure levels and your doctor would decide on the dosage and would prescribe accordingly to match your need. Use the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor and never alter the dosage without your doctor’s consent.
Consult your doctor immediately if any overdosage happens and you observe any overdosage symptoms. Never skip a dosage and take an extra dose to cover up the missed out dose.
Terazosin is not advised to use in some health conditions. Inform your doctor about any other health conditions you may be suffering. Below mentioned are some health conditions where the Terazosin is not advised to use.
- Hypotension (blood pressure drop upon standing
- Continued painful erection
- Cataract surgery
- Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome
Precautions while taking Terazosin
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Advised to use only after consultation and only if usage is unavoidable in case of pregnancy.
- Usage of this medicine in nursing mothers is not advised as it may show an adverse effect on infants.
- It is not advised to consume alcohol while under this medication as it may cause increased dizziness or lightheadedness if this medicine is consumed along with alcohol.
- It is advised not to operate heavy machinery or driving or actions that require alertness as this medicine may cause dizziness after consumption.
- It is advised that you inform about any other medication that you are using for any health conditions. For example, if you are using any NSAID medicine such as ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.
- Inform your doctor if you are planning to undergo any surgery in the near future especially surgery related to eyes such as cataract surgery, etc.
Drug interactions of Terazosin
Terazosin is known to show drug interactions when used along with some medicine. It is advised to share details about any other medication if you are using to treat any other medical conditions to avoid drug interactions while using Terazosin. Below mentioned are some medications that have a chance of drug interactions when used along with Terazosin.
- Sildenafil (well known as Viagra)
Terazosin may also show some adverse effects when used in some health conditions. It is advised to share details about your health condition with your doctor before he prescribes the medicine to avoid any such criticalities. Below mentioned are some health conditions to be considered before using Terazosin.
- Liver disease – Close monitoring is needed while using this medicine in case of hepatic impairment patients
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.