Telmisartan belongs to a class of medicines called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). This medication is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). Get to know how Telmisartan works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Telmisartan is not suggested.
Telmisartan composition and active ingredients
Telmisartan contains Telmisartan as an active ingredient. This tablet is manufactured & marketed by Dr. Reddys Laboratories Ltd. It is available in the market in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
How does Telmisartan work?
Telmisartan belongs to the class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers. It improves the patient condition by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily. Lowering high BP helps prevent heart attacks, strokes, and kidney problems. It is also used to improve the chance of living longer after a heart attack.
Telmisartan Uses and Benefits
- It is used to treat high blood pressure (Hypertension).
- It is used to help heart function after a heart attack.
- It is used to treat heart failure (weak heart).
- Valsartan may also be used to help protect the kidneys from damage due to diabetes.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the health expert.
Telmisartan side effects
The below mentioned list contains possible side effects that may occur from all constituting ingredients of Telmisartan. These side effects of Telmisartan are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side effects may be rare but serious. Consult your physician if you notice any of the following side effects, especially if they do not go away.
The following are the most common side effects of Telmisartan:
- Stuffy nose
- Sinus irritation
- Back pain
- Loose stools
- Trouble breathing
- Skin rash
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Unexplained weight gain
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- Irregular heartbeat
- Increased potassium levels in blood
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your health expert to know more about other possible side effects.
Do not take Telmisartan if you are suffering from following conditions:
- Have experienced angioedema as a reaction to any Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB)
- Are allergic to valsartan or any ingredients of the medication
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are low on bodily fluids
- Have kidney disease
The dosage and the drug form of Telmisartan depend on the patient’s age, weight and medical condition. Take Telmisartan as prescribed by your health expert. Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take Telmisartan with or without food. Consume the missed out dose as soon as you remember. If it is nearing the next dose schedule, skip the missed out one and continue with the regular dosage schedule. Do not take extra dose to make up for the missed dose.
The recommended dose of Telmisartan for following conditions:
- Hypertension is 20-80 mg daily
- Cardiovascular risk reduction is 80 mg daily
Precautions while taking Telmisartan
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Telmisartan causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Inform your physician before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Telmisartan
- Monitor your blood pressure on a regular basis while on Telmisartan.
- Take the dosage as prescribed by your health expert.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may cause excessive drowsiness when taken with Telmisartan.
- Pregnant women or women who are trying to get pregnant should avoid consuming Telmisartan, since it can cause harm the fetus development. It might not be suitable for everyone, since consuming this medicine can lead to complications for patients affected by disorders such as liver disease, heart disease, kidney failure, diabetes and allergies. If you suffer from these conditions, you should inform your physician, before taking this drug.
Avoid Telmisartan if you notice following sign & symptoms:
- The foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discoloration.
- It has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
Telmisartan – Drug interactions
Effectiveness of this medicine may impact if used along with some other medications like over the counter medications.
This may increase your risk of suffering side effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Inform your doctor about your current medication and even if you are using any health supplements, which would help your doctor customize your medication accordingly.
Telmisartan may interact with the following medicines and products:
Substitutes for Telmisartan
Here is the List of substitute’s medicines which have the same composition, strength and form as Telmisartan:
- Telmikind 40mg – Mankind Pharma
- Temsan 40mg – Emcure Pharma
- Zitelmi-40 – FDC
- Telvas-40 – Aristo Pharma
- Hitarget-40 – Panacea Biotec
- Teleact 40mg – Ranbaxy
- Telday 40mg – Torrent Pharma
- Teli-40mg – Cadila Pharma
- Telpres 40mg – Abbott India
- Cresar 40mg – Cipla
- Arbitel 40mg – Micro Labs
- Macsart – 40mg – Macleods
- Telista 40 mg – Lupin Pharma
- Tetan-40mg – Alembic Pharma
- Telsartan Activ 40mg – Dr. Reddy
- Telma-40mg – Glenmark
- Telsar 40mg – Unichem
- Tazloc 40mg – USV
- Tellzy 40mg – Alembic Pharma
- Telwin 40mg – Psychotropics India
- Telminorm 40 mg – Ipca Labs
- Targit-40mg – Pfizer
- Sartel-40 – Intas Pharma
FAQ,’s about Telmisartan
While taking Telmisartan Should I follow any dietary precautions?
Sometimes this medicine may cause diarrhea. While taking Telmisartan drink plenty of fluids and solutions that contain water and salt to restore the lost electrolytes.
Is Telmisartan safe for pregnant women?
No, Telmisartan is not safe for pregnant women, as it may affect the growing fetus. However, please consult your physician.
How long can I take Telmisartan?
It is recommended to take Telmisartan for the prescribed duration. Discontinuing the medication may cause the illness to return.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!