Sumo Tablet is in a class of drugs called NSAID’s (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis, tendinitis, gout, and menstrual cramps. It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Overview of the Drug
Sumo Tablet is a pain-relieving drug. Nimesulide and paracetamol are the ingredients. Nimesulide is a relatively COX-2 selective, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) with analgesic and antipyretic properties. Its approved indications are the treatment of acute pain, the symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis and primary dysmenorrhoea in adolescents and adults above 12 years old. Due to concerns about the risk of Liver Failure, nimesulide has been withdrawn from market in many countries. This is manufactured by Alkem labs ltd.
This medicine is composed of the following drugs as it’s active ingredients –
- Nimesulide – 100mg.
- Paracetamol or Acetaminophen – 500mg.
How does Sumo Tablet work?
Sumo Tablet’s components relieve pain and fever.
Nimesulide is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), while paracetamol/acetaminophen is an antipyretic (fever reducer). Both combine to block the release of a few chemical messengers in the brain which can cause pain, fever, and inflammation (redness and swelling). They also block the secretion of cyclooxygenase, which prevents the production of prostaglandins in the body. Both (prostaglandins, cyclooxygenase) are the reasons for acute pain, inflammation, and joints swelling.
Cyclooxygenase (or COX 2) is an enzyme that manufactures a compound called prostaglandin, whose production in the body results in inflammation, pain, and swelling of joints.
Sumo Tablet is a COX 2 inhibitor, so it can reduce/end these symptoms. Sumo Tablet also attacks all components which contribute to the inflammation process, like proteolytic enzymes, histamine, prostaglandin, free radicals, and cyclooxygenase.
Sumo Tablet uses and benefits
Sumo Tablet is generally prescribed in treating and preventing the health conditions mentioned below:
Sumo Tablet is used to treat symptoms like joint stiffness, painful joints of the knee, hip, neck, lower back associated with Osteoarthritis.
Sumo Tablet is used for treating the symptoms that may be related to Rheumatoid Arthritis such as stiffness in the joints, pain, and swelling that is associated with the condition.
Sumo Tablet is used to treat menstrual cramps and pain.
Fever and Pain
Sumo Tablet is used to reduce fever, pain, and inflammation.
Sumo Tablet is used in the treatment of menstrual cramps and lower abdominal pains felt before and during menstruation.
Sumo Tablet is also used to treat joint pain, which is caused by obesity, as the excess weight of your body puts pressure on your joints and osteoarthritis.
Sumo Tablet is used to treat symptoms like joint stiffness, painful joints of the knee, hip, neck, lower back associated with Osteoarthritis and also used to treat muscles pains, spasms, and muscular strains.
Low back pain
Sumo Tablet also used to treat mild to severe back pain caused by arthritis, sciatica, herniated disc.
Sumo Tablet is used to treat muscle spasms which are caused by overuse, dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities and muscle fatigue.
This medication is not recommended for use in the following conditions, be cautious to avoid this in such conditions.
Avoid if you have an allergy to Sumo Tablet or other NSAIDs
Sumo Tablet is contraindicated if you are diagnosed with asthma or other respiratory complications.
If you are suffering from any bleeding disorder Sumo Tablet is not recommended for you. It could cause severe swelling and bleed in the intestines, stomach, and anus.
If you are suffering from any liver disorders, Sumo is contraindicated.
Sumo Tablet side effects
Below mentioned are a few of the side effects that may occur with the usage of this medication, out of which some might be rare but care to be taken as few might become serious if unattended properly on time. It is recommended to consult your physician immediately if you suffer any such side effects.
- Skin Rash
- Increases blood pressure.
- Elevated Liver Enzymes
- Blood clots
- Abdominal pain
- Sores in mouth
- Colon problems
- Excessive thirst
- Burning or tingling in the arms or legs
- Hearing problems
- Ringing in the ears.
- Anti-Fungal such as Ketoconazole
- Anti-convulsant such as valproic acid
- Anti-Tuberculous drugs such as Isoniazid
- Amoxicillin or Clavulanic Acid
- Salicylic Acid
Expert Advice regarding Sumo Tablet
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- It can cause serious complications such as kidney problems and stomach bleeding if taken for a long time.
- Sumo Tablet can raise your risk of heart attack, blood clots or stroke.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with liver or kidney problems.
- It should be taken with food to avoid getting an upset stomach.
- It is not advised to take this tablet along with alcohol.
- It is not advised to drive after taking this tablet as it causes mild drowsiness.
Precautions before taking Sumo Tablet
Before you start taking Sumo Tablet, it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you have a stomach ulcer, or if you have an inflammatory bowel disorder such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- If suffering from any allergic conditions such as asthma
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you have high blood pressure and any clotting disorders.
- Use with proper guidance from your doctor if you are suffering any coronary or blood vessels related health issues.
Taking more than prescribed Sumo Tablet may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
- Sumo Tablet is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary and the potential benefits outweigh the risks involved.
- Sumo Tablet can be taken during breastfeeding with caution. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Throat pain and tooth pain
- No it is not recommended for throat pain and tooth pain.
Substitute tablets for Sumo Tablet
- Alnim P – Alliaance Biotech
- Nimu Plus – Alchemist Life Science Ltd
- Disfast Np – Acekinetics Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Nimlin P – Stallion Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Nimugesic – Tas Med India Pvt Ltd
- Nimsa Plus – Micro Labs Ltd
- Nimugesic Plus – Abbott India Ltd
- Nimfresh P Gold – Smart Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Np Com – Profic Organic Ltd
- Pnt – Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Nimiron – Ronyd Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Molib P – Algen Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Nimucet Gold – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Nam P – Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Nimegesic P – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Nizer P – USV Ltd
- Novolid Plus – Micro Labs Ltd
- Nimica Plus – Ipca Laboratories Ltd
- Nimulid Hf – Panacea Biotec Ltd
- Nimed Plus – Medoz Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd
- Nes Forte – PCI Pharmaceuticals
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Divya has been pursuing Dentistry for about 5 years now. Endodontics and Orthodontics are her areas of interest and she holds a BDS degree from Govt. Dental College, Vijayawada, AP. Besides pursuing her career as a Dentist, she is passionate about Technical writing and is spending her free time in writing medical articles to bring awareness and share medical knowledge to the public.