Shelcal HD is a medicine prescribed to treat conditions such as osteoporosis, Osteomalacia, rickets which may happen as a result of low calcium levels in the body. Get to know how Shelcal HD medication works, side effects, precautions before using, and contraindications where Shelcal HD is not suggested.
Role of Calcium in our body
Calcium plays an essential role in the body. It is necessary for normal functioning of cells, muscle, nerves, and bone. Our body will take calcium from bones if sufficient amount of calcium is not available in the bloodstream, thereby weakening bones. Hence it is important to provide the calcium necessary for the body from external sources either by diet or by supplementary form. D vitamin is essential to enable the body for phosphorous and calcium absorption. Calcium, Vitamin D, and Phosphorus play an important role to keep bones healthy. Calcium and Vitamin D are also essential for fetal development especially for the development of bones during pregnancy. This medicine is also prescribed for women with Osteoporosis when they are at post menopause stage.
Shelcal HD – Composition and active ingredients
Shelcal HD is composed of the following active ingredients (salts). This medicine is manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd in India.
- Calcium Carbonate – 1250 MG
- Vitamin D3 – 500 IU
Shelcal HD Uses
Shelcal HD is prescribed for treating conditions like:
- Dietary supplement
- Bones weakness
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Poor Parathyroid function
- Low Calcium levels
- Renal Osteodystrophy
- Post-menopausal osteoarthritis
Side Effects of Shelcal HD
Mentioned here are few possible side effects with this medicine. Please consult your doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Skin irritation
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Allergic rejections
- Muscular weakness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Calcium levels in urine and blood may go high
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Ache
- A headache with fever
- Chest pain
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
- Difficulty in urination
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
Contraindications of Shelcal HD
Shelcal HD is a not recommended to use if you are hypersensitive to ingredients in this drug, and if suffering from any of the health issues mentioned here:
- Kidney disease
- Kidney stone
- Tumor that dissolves bone
- Allergic reactions
- High amount of calcium in the blood
- High calcium levels
- Extreme loss of body water
- Incomplete or infrequent bowel movements
- Increased activity of the parathyroid gland
Shelcal HD Dosage
Dosage depends on several factors like age, gender and general health conditions. It is advised to consult your doctor for right dosage details suitable for you before you start using this medicine.
Precautions while taking Shelcal HD
Follow below-listed precautions before taking Shelcal HD:
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Do not take Shelcal HD if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer
- Avoid Shelcal HD in patients with repeated blood transfusion
- Shelcal HD is contradicted in patients with the problem of kidney stones
- Do not take Shelcal HD tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Do not take this medicine in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets
- It is not advised to use in patients who have high levels of calcium and phosphate in their blood
- Do not take this drug if you have cardiac issues, harden arteries and dehydration
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
Taking more than prescribed Shelcal HD may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
Shelcal HD is often prescribed to pregnant women in case of calcium deficiency. It can improve the bone-building process and bone strength of fetus. It is advised to use this drug by consulting your health professional or gynecologist.
For nursing mothers, it is advised to use this medicine only with proper guidance from your doctor.
For children and infants
This medicine should not be given to children or infants unless it is prescribed by a doctor.
Shelcal HD – Drug Interactions
Effect of this medicine might change if used along with some other drugs, which might increase the risk of side effects or the intended benefits might not be achieved. Let your doctor know about your current list of medication or any supplements that you might be using if any. That would help the doctor to prescribe you the right medication accordingly to prevent the most possible common side effects. Shelcal HD might possibly show drug interactions with the below-mentioned drugs.
- Calcium acetate
- Potassium phosphate
- Paraffin oil
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!