Reviewed by – Dr. Srishti Tayal
Shelcal 500 is generally prescribed for treating conditions like rickets, osteoporosis, and osteomalacia, that may occur due to low calcium levels in the body. Get to know how Shelcal 500 medication works, its side effects, precautions before using, and contraindications where Shelcal 500 is not suggested.
Role of Calcium in our body
Calcium plays an essential role in the body and is essential for the body cells, muscle, nerves, and bones to function normally. Calcium also plays a pivotal role in regulating contraction and relaxation of muscles and blood vessels and release of hormones like insulin. If sufficient amount of calcium is not available in the bloodstream, our body will take calcium from bones, thereby weakening bones. As a result, our bones tend to get weak and brittle which may lead to fractures when a fall happens. The most common parts of our body that tend to fracture are hip bones and wrist bones. Another major risk of osteoporosis is that our spinal discs degenerate and lead to spinal disc fractures.
Hence it is important to provide calcium necessary for the body from external sources either by diet or in supplementary form. Products containing calcium, are also available on Amazon as a dietary supplement as opposed to Shelcal 500, which can be taken only on doctor’s advice.
Vitamin D plays a role in phosphorus and calcium absorption. Levels of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Phosphorus in our body are important to keep bones healthy. Calcium and Vitamin D are also essential for fetal development especially for development of bones during pregnancy. This medicine is also prescribed for post-menopausal women suffering from Osteoporosis. We listed here a few useful articles that explain detailed information about Osteoporosis and precautions to take care while suffering from calcium deficiency and bone weakness.
- Osteoporosis – a silent killer of your bones!
- Osteoporosis – Rising Trends in Asia
- Poor man’s rich Calcium diet!
- Osteoporosis prevention through drugs
- 33 WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR JOINTS
When there is a calcium deficiency in the body, some may suffer from issues like back pain as a result of spinal disc degeneration. In such advanced conditions, the Doctor may suggest using some back pain belts such as Contoured LS Support Belt along with some medication.
Protective Sports Gear – Attractive Deals!
Shelcal 500 – Composition and active ingredients
Shelcal 500 is composed of the following active ingredients (salts)
- Calcium Carbonate – 1250 MG
- Vitamin D3 – 250 IU
Shelcal 500 Uses
Shelcal 500 is prescribed for treating conditions like:
- Weak bones – Rickets, Osteomalacia
- Certain muscle disease – Latent Tetany
- Bone loss – Osteoporosis
- Dietary supplement in conditions such as pregnancy, breastfeeding women and postmenopausal women on medicines such as prednisone.
- Postmenopausal osteoarthritis
- People on medication such as phenytoin, phenobarbital or prednisone
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Calcium deficiency
- Duodenal ulcer, Stomach ulcer
- Patients suffering from kidney disease – Renal Osteodystrophy, chronic renal failure
- Low Phosphate levels
Side Effects of Shelcal 500
Below described are some side effects that may occur by using this medicine. It is advised to consult the doctor immediately if any such side effects are noticed.
- Constipation, Diarrhea, Dark or greenish stool
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Ache
- Headache with fever
- Chest pain
- Allergic reactions of the drug (Very rarely) – Skin irritation
- Muscular weakness
- Increased levels of Calcium in urine and blood
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Sleeping disturbances
- Polyuria – Increased frequency of urination
- Elevated liver enzymes
Contraindications of Shelcal 500
Shelcal 500 is a not recommended to use if you are hypersensitive to ingredients in this drug, and if suffering from any of the health issues mentioned here:
- Advanced Kidney disease
- Kidney stone
- Advanced Liver diseases
- Vitamin D Toxicity – Increased Vitamin D levels
- Increase calcium levels in the body
- Crohn’s disease
- Tumor that dissolves bone
- High phosphate levels
- Low levels of bile
- Extreme loss of body water
- Incomplete or infrequent bowel movements
- Malabsorption syndromes
- Increased activity of the parathyroid gland
Shelcal 500 Dosage
Dosage depends on several factors like age, gender and general health conditions. It is advised to consult your doctor for right dosage details suitable for you before you start using this medicine.
Protective Sports Gear – Attractive Deals!
Precautions while taking Shelcal 500
Before taking Shelcal 500 follow below-listed precautions:
- Inform your doctor about any other medicine that you might be using
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Do not take Shelcal 500 if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer
- Avoid Shelcal 500 in patients with repeated blood transfusion
- Shelcal 500 is contraindicated in patients with problem of kidney stones
- Do not take Shelcal 500 tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Do not take this medicine in larger doses than the dose prescribed by the doctor
- Advised to keep the medicine away from reach to children or pets
- It is not advised to use in patients who have high blood levels of calcium and phosphate
- Do not take this drug if you have cardiac issues, atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries) and dehydration
- advised not to use this medicine if the expiry date is neared or expired
- Shelcal 500 can hamper cholesterol blood tests and can yield false results. Always inform your doctor if you are taking Shelcal 500, before blood cholesterol tests being done
Taking more than prescribed Shelcal 500 may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to the next dose, skip the missing dosage and continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
Shelcal 500 is often prescribed to pregnant women in case of calcium deficiency. It can improve the bone development of fetus. It is advised to use this drug by consulting your health professional or gynecologist.
For nursing mothers, it is advised to use this medicine only with proper guidance from your doctor.
For children and infants
This medicine should not be given to children or infants unless it is prescribed by the doctor.
Shelcal 500 – Drug Interactions
Effect of this medicine might change if used along with some other medicine. This may increase your risk for serious side effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your doctor about all the drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your doctor can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Shelcal 500 may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
- Calcium decreases absorption of other drugs such as
- doxycycline, minocycline
- bisphosphonates – alendronates
- ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin
- Few medicines decrease the absorption of vitamin D
- Mineral oil such as paraffin oil
- Few medicines contain calcium, phosphate or vitamin D
- Potassium phosphate
- Calcium acetate
- Thiazide diuretics
Substitutes for Shelcal 500
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Shelcal 500 and hence can be used as its substitute:
- TRICIUM 250MG TABLET 10’S
- CALCITOP 250MG TABLET 10’S
- OSSOPAN TABLET 15’S
- OCIUM 250MG TABLET 20’S
- CIPCAL 250MG TABLET 30’S
- CALCIMAX 250MG TABLET 30’S
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!