Table of content
- What is Sertraline?
- Some of the available brands with Sertraline as an active ingredient
- Sertraline Uses and Benefits
- How Does Sertraline Work?
- Sertraline Side Effects
- Sertraline Dosage
- Sertraline Contraindications
- Precautions to be taken while using Sertraline
- Drug interactions of Sertraline
What is Sertraline?
Sertraline is a prescription medicine recommended to treat psychological disorders such as depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), phobia, etc. Sertraline belongs to the group of medicine known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Some of the available brands with Sertraline as an active ingredient
Below mentioned brands of medicine are with Sertraline as an active ingredient.
Medicine with Sertraline 50mg as an active ingredient
- Serta 50 Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Serenata 50 Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Daxid 50 mg Tablet – Manufactured by Pfizer Ltd
- Serlift 50 Tablet – Manufactured by Strides Shasun Ltd
- Zosert 50 Tablet – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Sertagress 50 mg Tablet – Manufactured by La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- S R T 50 mg Tablet – Manufactured by Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Sertraline Uses and Benefits
Sertraline is prescribed to treat health conditions mentioned below.
- Panic Attacks
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Generally known as OCD)
- Severe Form Of PMS or Premenstrual Syndrome which is also called as Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
How Does Sertraline Work?
Sertraline belongs to the group of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants. It helps to increase the serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a kind of chemical messenger in the brain (neurotransmitter) which helps to boost the positive mood and hence helps in depression.
Sertraline Side Effects
Apart from the intended benefits, the Sertraline might also cause some side effects which are mentioned below. It is advised to consult your doctor as early as possible in such conditions.
- Low sexual desire
- Delayed ejaculation
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing (Orthostatic hypotension)
- Weight gain
- Erectile dysfunction
- Stomach upset
- Muscle cramps
- Shaking (tremor)
- Unusual weight loss
Since it is a prescription medicine, the dosage depends on the health condition and severity levels of the condition. Follow the dosage guidelines as per the prescription and never alter or stop the course suddenly without the consent of your doctor. Regular dosage adjustments might be required with medical supervision.
Never miss a dose and never overdose to make up for the missed dosage by mistake. Consult your doctor as early as possible if any overdosage symptoms and adverse effects are noticed.
Sertraline is not recommended to use in some conditions as mentioned below. Bring it to your doctor’s notice if you experienced any such conditions in the past or while using any similar medication.
- Allergic to similar antidepressant medication
- Inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion syndrome
- Low amount of sodium in the blood
- Patients with a known history of increased risk of bleeding
- Patients with suicidal tendencies
- Closed-angle glaucoma
- Hepatic Issues (Liver problems)
- If the patient has any internal bleeding issues such as in stomach, esophagus or duodenum
- Manic depression / Bipolar disorder
Precautions to be taken while using Sertraline
It is advised that you share all your medical history with your doctor before using Sertraline as a safety measurement. Below are some important counseling points to be noted.
- Inform about your current and past health history especially about any mental health problem.
- Inform if you have a known history of an allergic reaction to a similar medication
- Inform if you have any health issues such as liver problems, bleeding problems, thyroid disease, seizure disorder, personal or family history of glaucoma particularly of angle-closure type.
- This medication may cause excessive drowsiness if used along with the consumption of alcohol, hence not advised to use together.
- In case of pregnant and lactating women, It is advised to use only after consulting with the doctor.
Drug interactions of Sertraline
It is advised to share the details with your doctor regarding your current list of medication including any over the counter medication, any supplementary medication or product that you are using to avoid any possible drug interactions. Listed here are some of the possible drugs that have the possibility of drug interactions if used along with Sertraline.
- Opioid pain or cough reliever medicine such as codeine, hydrocodone
- Antihistamines medicine such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine
- Insomnia or anxiety-related medication such as alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem
- If used along with some other antidepressants
- NSAID medication such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen
- Blood thinners such as warfarins
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.