Septran tablet is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections such as urinary tract infections, malaria, bronchitis, traveler’s diarrhea, pneumonia, shigellosis, etc. Get to know how Septran works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Septran is not suggested.
Composition of Septran tablet
Septran tablet is manufactured by Glaxosmithkline pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is composed of two antiobitics as active ingredients such as sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. They are available in pharmacies in the form of oral tablet, oral suspention, and intravenous solution.
Septran tablet Mechanism of action
Septran is a combination of two antibiotics. The two active ingredients in this medicine act by blocking the production of nutrition required by the bacteria and thereby arresting the multiplication of the bacteria. Hence kills the bacteria.
Septran tablet uses and benefits
Septran tablet is prescribed to use in the conditions like:
- Bacterial infection
- Respiratory tract bacterial infection
- Urinary tract bacterial infection
- Irritation and redness in membrane covering the eye
Septran tablet dosage
Take the medicine dose and duration as exactly prescribed by your doctor. Take Septran tablet by oral route. And do not crush, chew or break it.
Side effects of Septran tablet
The side effects that are caused by composed ingredients of Septran Tablet. The following side effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of these side effects are rare but life threatening. Please visit your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects.
The following are the side effects of Septran Tablet:
- Skin rashes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Life threatening skin condition
- Deficiency of haemoglobin in the blood
- Abnormal blood counts
- Sunburn following exposure to sunlight
- Loss of appetite
- Eye discomfort
- Burning sensation in the eye
- Allergic reaction
- Passing of gas
Contraindications of Septran tablet
Hypersensitivity to Septran tablet is a contraindication. In following conditions the Septran tablet should not be used are as follows;
- Allergic reactions
- Severe renal failure
- Breast feeding
- Liver disease
Septran tablet – Drug interaction with other medicine
The other drugs or over the counter products if you consume at same time, the effect of septran antibiotic may change. This may increase chances of side effects or might cause your drug not to work properly. If you give information to the doctor about all your health history, it is possible for the doctor to manage or prevent drug interactions. The drugs which interact with septran antibiotic tablet include;
- Cyclosprin A
Septran tablet precautions and how to use
- Inform your doctor if you are using any medicine, supplementary medicine like vitamin tablets or herbal products, or if you are about to undergo any surgery before using this medicine, that would help your doctor to prescribe the medication accordingly.
- Patients suffering few types of health conditions are more likely to get side effects.
- Strictly follow the instructions by your doctor or as on the drug insert to avoid the possible side effects.
- Dosage always depends upon your condition.
- As a general caution, check for the expiry date on the strip
- Not advised to use in larger quantities than suggest by your doctor.
- Consult your doctor if the condition worsens or prolongs.
Before prescribing important counseling points are as follows:
- Avoid excess exposure to sunlight or use sunscreen
- Drink plenty of liquids during course of treatment
- Regular blood test are advised
- Have protective eye wear, clothing and sunscreen.
- Consume the missed dose as early as you remember. If you miss and it is near time for the next dose, then skip the previous dose, and continue to next dose.
- If you notice overdose with the Septran Tablet contact your doctor immediately because it leads to harmful effects. The possible Symptoms like tingly feeling, nausea and vomiting, chest pain, and increased heartbeat, skin redness are the warning signs of overdose.
Substitutes for Septran tablet
- Comax – Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd
- Ciplin – Cipla Ltd
- Bactrim – Abbott
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!