What is Rantac 150?
Rantac 150 is an antacid drug used to treat conditions like gastric ulcer, acidity, heartburn, stomach ulcers, and intestinal ulcers, benign duodenal ulcer, Esophagus inflammation. Get to know how Rantac 150 works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Rantac 150 is not suggested.
1. How Rantac-150mg Tablet work?
2. Rantac-150 Tablet – Composition and Active Ingredients
3. Rantac-150 tablet uses
4. Side Effects of Rantac-150mg Tablet
5. Contraindications for Rantac-150 MG Tablet
6. Precautions before taking Rantac-150 MG Tablet
7. Rantac-150 Dosage
8. General warnings
9. Substitutes for Rantac-150 MG Tablet
Rantac 150 Tablet – Composition and Active Ingredients
Rantac 150 is a branded medicine manufactured and marketed by J.B.Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd in India. Rantac 150 is composed of the following active ingredients:
- Ranitidine – 150 MG
Rantac 150 tablet uses
- Rantac 150 inhibits the production of acid by acid-producing cells in the stomach, thereby aiding in the treatment of ulcers in the stomach.
- Rantac 150 tablet helps to treat and stops the stomach ulcers due to a side effect of some medicines
- Improve problems caused by acid in the esophagus (food pipe) or too much acid in the stomach.
- Stop ulcers from bleeding
- When Rantac 150 is taken with antibiotics (medicines are taken to treat germs) it helps to clear up an infection in your stomach. Both of these can cause discomfort or pain sometimes known as indigestion, heartburn or dyspepsia.
- Stop acid coming up from the stomach while under anesthetic during an operation.
- Rantac 150 MG is used to treat the symptoms of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome where the acid secretion in the stomach is abnormally high. And this medication also used in Erosive Esophagitis where the food pipe is eroded due to prolonged acid reflux from the stomach.
For children (3 to 18 years) Rantac 150 tablet is used to:
- Heal ulcers in the stomach, of the part of the gut it empties into (the duodenum)
- Heal and stop problems caused by acid in the esophagus(food pipe) or too much acid in the stomach.
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
How Rantac 150mg Tablet work?
Rantac tablet is an H2 blocker. It works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach and intestines which helps in relief of acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
Side Effects of Rantac 150mg Tablet
Some of the reported, less serious side effects of Rantac 150mg include:
- Stomach pain
- Muscle pain
Some of the reported adverse effects, which require instant discontinuation of this medicine include:
- Arrhythmias such as bradycardia, tachycardia, premature ventricular beats, and atrioventricular block
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Liver failure
- Pneumonia in hospitalized patients
- Infectious diarrhea
- Thrombocytopenia (rare)
- Vasculitis (rare)
- Erythema multiforme (rare)
- Hair loss (rare)
Contraindications for Rantac 150 MG Tablet
Do not take Rantac 150 MG Tablet if you are suffering from following conditions:
Rantac 150 MG Tablet is not prescribed for use in patients who have a known history of allergy to Ranitidine or any other component of the drug.
Rantac 150 MG Tablet is not prescribed for use in patients having this rare hereditary disease.
Precautions before taking Rantac 150 MG Tablet
- Take Rantac 150 MG Tablet only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Rantac 150 MG Tablet; it can increase the risk of stomach damage.
- Stop consuming alcohol for at least Three days after the last dosage of this medicine
- Take full course of treatment
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Do not take this tablet if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this tablet after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Rantac 150 Dosage
Rantac 150 mg orally Two times a day OR 300 mg orally once a day after the evening meal or at bedtime. It is available as a regular tablet, capsule and syrup form.
Taking more than prescribed Rantac 150 tablet may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
Rantac tablet is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary and the potential benefits outweigh the risks involved. Rantac 150 tablet is not known to cause any harm to the fetus, but should only be used after consultation with your doctor.
Rantac tablet is safe to use during breastfeeding. Consult your doctor before taking Rantac 150 tablet.
Substitutes for Rantac 150 MG Tablet
Here is the List of substitute’s medicines which have the same composition, strength, and form as Rantac 150 MG Tablet:
- Antec 150 MG Tablet–Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd
- Monorin 150 MG Tablet–Alembic Ltd
- Renitab 150 MG Tablet–Micro Labs Ltd
- Rafilon 150 MG Tablet–Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Zinetac 150 MG Tablet–Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.