Table of content
- What is Novomix?
- Novomix Composition and Active Ingredients
- Novomix Uses and Benefits
- How Does Novomix Work?
- Novomix Side Effects
- Novomix Dosage
- Novomix Contraindications
- Precautions to be taken while using Novomix
- Drug interactions of Novomix
What is Novomix?
Novomix is an anti-diabetic prescription medicine used for the treatment of diabetes type 2 in adults. This medicine is a combination of two types of insulin to ensure the rapid and consistent control of blood sugar levels. It is advised to use in combination with regular exercise and healthy diet plan to achieve the best results. Novomix is available in the form of Penfills Suspension for Injection or cartridges and ready to use prefilled Flexpens.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its benefits, how to use, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended and precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, etc.
Novomix Composition and Active Ingredients
Below mentioned two variations of Insulin are the active ingredients in this Novomix.
- Insulin Aspart
- Insulin Aspart Protamine
Further, these two versions of insulin are available in different ratios based on the variation of the medicine.
Different variations of the Novamix are –
Composition – Insulin Aspart (30%) and Insulin Aspart Protamine (70%)
- Novomix 30 Flexpen 100IU/ml
- Novomix 30 100IU/ml Penfill
Composition – Insulin Aspart (50%) and Insulin Aspart Protamine (50%)
- Novomix 50 100IU/ml Penfill
Manufactured By– Novomix is manufactured by Novo Nordisk India Pvt Ltd.
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – Suspension for Injection or cartridges (Penfill) and prefilled pens (FlexPen)
Drug Type – Novomix belongs to the class of anti-diabetic drugs known as Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors or Gliptins
Novomix Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Novomix.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes
How does the medication works?
Novomix composition is the combination of two types of Insulin as mentioned earlier. Insulin Aspart shows the rapid onset of action and works within ten to twenty minutes after using and the other ingredient Insulin Aspart Protamine works slowly and consistently to show its effect for a long duration up to 24 hours. Together this combination is helpful in controlling the diabetic levels in the blood by its rapid and prolonged action which enables the reuptake of available sugar in the blood by muscles and fat cells and suppresses further increase of sugar levels by inhibiting the liver cells which are likely to produce more sugar in diabetic patients.
Novomix Side Effects
Given below are some possible side effects of Novomix that may occur from ingredients present in Novomix. A share of the side effects might be infrequent.
- Weight gain
- Allergic reaction at the site of application of injection
- Lipodystrophy (Skin thickening or pits at the injection site)
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level)
Novomix may likewise cause reactions not recorded here. On the off chance that you see adverse effects from using Novomix that are not mentioned above, please consult your doctor immediately as this may need immediate medical attention.
Take Novomix precisely as dictated by the specialist. It can be taken with or without food. Do not take in a larger or smaller amount than prescribed. Consult the specialist if you encounter any unfortunate side effects of Novomix. If a dose is skipped, whenever you remember next, you can take in your missed dose. However, if it is nearly time for the following dose, skip the missed one but never increase your dosage to make up the missed dosage. Seek emergency therapeutic help or contact the specialist in the event of an overdose.
Here is a set of conditions when Novomix is not recommended to use.
- Not advised to use along with the consumption of alcohol as it may show adverse effects like abnormal levels of blood sugar levels.
Also, Novomix ought not to be utilized on the off chance that you have the accompanying conditions:
- Severe hepatic impairment (liver issues)
- Severe renal impairment (Kidney issues)
Precautions to be taken while using Novomix
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Never consume alcohol while under this medication as it may adversely affect the blood glucose levels.
- Never share an injection with other patients or family members even if the needle is replaced with a new one.
- Never freeze the medicine and never use if the medicine looks cloudy.
- Low blood levels (Hypoglycemia) may occur if used in combination with other medicine for the diabetic condition or with alcohol.
- Never alter the dosage are timings without your doctor’s consent.
- The dosage depends on the patient condition and varies from person to person.
- Never switch the brand of the medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Inform your doctor about your regular medication or any other healthcare supplements that you might be using to avoid any possible adverse effects.
- Read the instruction provided on the label to be on safer side before using the medicine.
- This medicine is recommended to use subcutaneously but not by intravenous (IV).
Drug interactions of Novomix
Novomix may show drug interaction if used in combination with other medicine, hence it is not advised to use certain medication while using this one. Below mentioned are some examples of medicines that Novomix may show drug interaction with.
Medicine that may result in hypoglycemia when used along with Novomix
- Oral antidiabetic medicine
- ACE inhibitors
- Monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors
- Somatostatin analog such as Octreotide
- Sulfonamide antibiotics
Medicines that inhibit the effect of Novomix when used together.
- Sympathomimetic agents such as Epinephrine, Salbutamol, Terbutaline
- Phenothiazine derivatives
- Thyroid hormones
- Progestogens such as in oral contraceptives
Some other medicines and products that have the potentiality of drug interaction are
- Lithium salts
It is important to share the information about the medication that you might be using with your doctor to avoid possible adverse effects.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.