What is MTP Kit?
MTP Kit is known as medical termination of pregnancy and also abortion pill. It is a type of medical abortion through pills (abortion pills). It is a non-surgical abortion method. It gives women complete privacy to terminate a pregnancy at home. Get to know how MTP Kit works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where MTP Kit is not suggested.
About MTP Kit
MTP kit is a combination of 2 medicines, termed as Misoprostol and Mifepristone. These 2 active ingredients belong to the category of different female hormones, which used for medical abortion or termination of intrauterine pregnancy up to 63 days of fertilization. Misoprostol is a Prostaglandin analog whereas, Mifepristone is a Progesterone antagonist. These both hormones are works effectively to expel the pregnancy by inducing the vaginal bleeding.
MTP Kit is known as medical termination of pregnancy and also abortion pill. It is a type of medical abortion through pills (abortion pills).
Manufactured by – Cipla Pharmaceutical company Ltd
Prescription – Required
Available form of medicine – Tablets
Type of medicine – Hormonal
MTP Kit uses and benefits
Termination of Pregnancy
MTP Kit is used for terminating pregnancies which are less than Ten weeks old. It is also used for labor induction in case of fetal death or before surgical procedures are performed to terminate a pregnancy.
MTP Kit prescribed for managing elevated blood sugar levels in patients having Cushing’s syndrome coupled with type 2 diabetes and glucose intolerance.
How to take MTP Kit?
The MTP Kit includes both Mifepristone and Misoprostol pill. Its schedule should be:
- Take 200 milligrams (mg) of Mifepristone tablet. It helps in blocking the progesterone that interference with essential hormones that help the progression of pregnancy.
- Wait for 24-48 hours
- Take four tablets of Misoprostol as a single dose that is all together after 3 days either orally by keeping it between cheeks and gums (buccally) or under the tongue (sublingually). You can take Misoprostol by vaginal route also.
Go for medical examination after 14 days of tablet ingestion to confirm medical termination of pregnancy with clinical tests.
Few side effects will also appear with MTP kit use, which will disappear after abortion completion, such as, abdominal cramps, headache, back pain, vomiting, dizziness, nausea, mood change, and vaginal bleeding.
MTP Kit Dosage
Dosage depends on several factors like your weight, age, overall health, and your present condition. Your Doctor would prescribe accordingly. The usual dose in case of abortion is about 200 mg orally once. From day 2 or 3, the dosage is about 800 mcg every 24 or 48 hours. While using MTP Kit you are expected to put the tablets in each cheek pouch and let it be there for around half an hour. If there are any remnants, swallow it with water. After 7 days, you are required to visit your doctor to check if you are still pregnant and also to monitor the quantity and frequency of the bleeding.
Dosage depends on several factors like your weight, age, overall health, and your present condition. Your Doctor would prescribe accordingly.
Precautions while taking MTP Kit
To avoid following side-effects and increase the effectiveness of MTP Kit, do remember these important measures:
- Never take it if you have hypersensitivity to any active ingredient of it.
- Lactating mothers should not consume it.
- Try not to consume alcohol or smoke and other drugs like corticosteroids and NSAIDs along with MTP Kit or they may interact and lead to serious side-effects.
- Avoid intercourse until you bleed or use an effective contraception method otherwise you may conceive very soon after the abortion.
- Take a nutritious diet and proper rest & do not perform any stressful activity.
Substitutes for MTP Kit
Below mentioned is a medicine, which has similar composition, strength, and form identical to MTP Kit and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Herwont 200 Mg/200 Mg Kit – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.