What is Montek LC?
Montek LC is a combination medicine containing levocetirizine which is a “third-generation non-sedative antihistamine” and montelukast which is a “leukotriene receptor antagonist (LTRA)” prescribed to treat allergic symptoms such as itchy or watery eyes caused as a result of hyperimmune reactions and dust or pet allergies.
Get to know how Montek LC works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Montek LC is not suggested.
Composition of Montek LC Tablet
Montek LC tablet is composed of the following active ingredients:
- Levocetirizine – 5 MG
- Montelukast – 10 MG
Manufactured by – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription – This medicine falls under the schedule H drugs category. Hence prescription is needed.
Form – Tablet, and Syrup
Type of Drug – This is an Antiallergic medicine with a combination of antihistaminic and anticholinergic properties
Uses of Montek LC Tablet
Montek LC tablet is prescribed to control, prevent, and improve the following diseases, conditions, and symptoms:
- Symptoms caused by Asthma
- Symptoms of allergic conditions
- Dust or pet allergies
- Pet allergies
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Hay fever
- Ear-round allergies
- Swelling of the skin
- Exercise-induced asthma
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Perennial allergic rhinitis
How does Montek LC work?
- Both the key ingredients of this medicine Levocetrizine and Montelukast work together to treat the allergic conditions.
- Levocetrizine is an antihistamine and works by blocking natural substances that cause allergic reactions.
- Montelukast is an anticholinergic drug and helps to ease the breathing by reducing swelling in the airways.
Does Montek LC affect any organs in the human body?
- Montek LC can show its effect on the functioning of the liver and kidney. Hence it is advised to use this medicine with proper medical supervision.
- Montek LC can also show its effect on the central nervous system and may result in fatigue, sleepiness, and dizziness.
How to use Montek LC?
- Montek LC comes in two forms, Tablet and Syrup. Tablets are prescribed for adults and the Syrup is for Children.
- In case of Tablet, swallow the whole tablet with some fluids and don’t crush, break or chew it.
- Montek LC can be used with or without food because the absorption of this medicine does not depend on the food intake. But in case of patients suffering gastric issues, it is advised to use after consuming the food.
- Montek LC medicine may cause slight sedative effect hence it is advised to use this before going to bed.
- In the case of syrup, it is advised to shake the syrup bottle well before consuming to make sure the medicine is mixed well. Don’t keep the bottle lid open for a long time.
- Complete the full course of the dosage as directed by the doctor.
- Read carefully the instruction mentioned on the medicine leaflet to understand any instructions given.
Dosage of Montek LC Tablet
Kindly Note: Details mentioned here is for informative purpose only. It is advised to use this medicine with proper medical supervision only.
- The dosage of Montek LC tablet depends on the severity of your condition, age, medical history, as well as your body’s reaction after the first dose of the drug.
- Your physician should be informed about your medical history and condition, for example, allergies, pregnancy, enlarged prostate or kidney disease before you are handed over a prescription.
- Common dosage of Montek LC is 15mg once a day, preferably at night.
- For children, the dosage of Montek LC is 5ml once a day, preferably at night. Always use this medicine only after consulting the doctor.
- It is not advised to prolong the usage or alter the dosage with your doctor’s advice.
- Montek LC can be used before and after meals.
- Since some patients may feel drowsy after the intake of this tablet, it is recommended that you have it in the evening to avoid sleepiness during the day.
- In case you have missed a dose of Montek LC, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, in case you if it is nearing your next dosage time. You must skip the missed dose and continue with the next dose. Don’t use an extra dose.
Contraindications of Montek LC Tablet (When to avoid this medicine)
Inform your doctor about your medical history before you receive any sort of prescription. Montek LC tablet should not be used if you have the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to Montek LC and its ingredients
- Allergic reactions
- During breastfeeding or pregnancy
- Hepatic (liver) or Renal (kidney) disorders
- In children below six years
Precautions for Montek LC Tablet
It is advised to take precautions before using Montek LC, in case you are suffering from any of the below listed medical conditions. Inform your doctor about any such conditions if you are suffering.
- In cases with signs and symptoms of Churg-Strauss Syndrome
- Asthma – precipitated by Aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Acute bronchospasm
- Allergic (hypersensitive) to levocetirizine
- In individuals with chronic alcoholism
- During pregnancy and lactation
- In children of below six years of age
- In elderly patients
Montek LC tablets should never be substituted for inhaled or oral corticosteroids. These tablets may cause drowsiness in some patients, thus, attention seeking tasks, such as driving must be avoided during the course of this drug.
Montek LC tablet should never be taken without a prescription nor should it be discontinued abruptly. It is essential to seek consent from a doctor before you even increase or reduce its dose.
Beware that a higher dose of this medication can cause drowsiness and may impede alertness or may even impair vision.
Side Effects of Montek LC Tablet
The following is a list of the possible side-effects that may occur with Montek LC usage. Remember that these side-effects are possible but do not always occur. It is advisable to consult a doctor immediately, in case any side effects or untoward reactions are noticed. Some of the possible side effects are:
- Dry mouth
- Breathing abnormalities
- Stomach pain
- Excessive sweating
- Chest congestion/tightness
- Bleeding from the nose (Epistaxis)
Kindly Note: This is not an exhaustive list of the side effects that may occur due to the intake of Montek LC tablet.
Drug Interactions with Montek LC Tablet
In patients who have too many prescribed medications or in those who are accustomed to the use of unscrupulous drugs, it is possible that Montek LC tablet may not show the desired result. Furthermore, such an individual may also have a higher probability to experience side effects. In order to prevent any drug interactions with Montek LC tablets, always remember to inform your doctor about all your medications and herbal products or health supplements that you have been using regularly, for instance:
Does Montek LC show any effect on lab tests?
Yes, Montek LC can affect the eosinophil’s count.
Can I use Montek LC along with Alcohol?
Montek LC can cause drowsiness, and if you consume this medicine along with the alcohol, the condition may worsen. So it is advised not to use this medicine along with alcohol.
Can I use Montek LC while pregnant?
Generally, it is not advised to use during pregnancy, but if the usage is much needed, it is advised to consult the doctor. Your doctor may suggest using if the benefits are more when compared with the side effects in such a case.
Can I use Montek LC while Breastfeeding?
Generally, it is not advised to use during Breastfeeding, but if the usage is much needed, it is advised to consult the doctor. Your doctor may suggest using if the benefits are more when compared with the side effects in such a case.
Drugs similar to Montek LC
Below is a list of drugs, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Montek LC. However, these medications cannot be interchanged or substituted without the consent of a health care professional.
- Alevict M 5mg/10mg Tablet – Aspire Remedies
- Montina-L Tablet – Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Levodec M Tablet – Axis Labs Pvt Ltd
- Lerzin M Tablet – Galpha Laboratories Ltd
- Levocet M Tablet – Hetero Drugs Ltd
- Lecitra M Tablet – Triglobal Bioscience Pvt Ltd
- Levonair 5mg/10mg Tablet – Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lit M Tablet – Omenta Pharma Pvt Ltd
- Lovim 5mg/10mg Tablet – Alde Medi Impex Ltd
- Levosiz-M Tablet – Systopic Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Levotac M Tablet – Seagull Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd
- Montized-L 5mg/10mg Tablet – Zota Health Care Ltd
- Salphylin M 5mg/10mg Tablet – Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Solitair Tablet – Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd
- Salphyllin M 5 mg/10 mg Tablet – Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.