Table of content
- What is Methyldopa?
- Methyldopa Composition and Active Ingredients
- Methyldopa Uses and Benefits
- How Does Methyldopa Work?
- Methyldopa Side Effects
- Methyldopa Dosage
- Methyldopa Contraindications
- Precautions while taking Methyldopa
- Drug interactions of Methyldopa
What is Methyldopa?
Methyldopa is a generic name of the medicine prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension and also prescribed in some patients suffering from cardiac-related issues to minimize the risk of stroke.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its benefits, how to use, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended and precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, etc.
Methyldopa belongs to the group of medicine called Centrally acting Antiadrenergic agents. This medicine helps to avoid the narrowing of blood vessels and hence lowers the blood pressure and enhances the easy blood flow by widening the vessel.
Methyldopa Composition and Active Ingredients
Methyldopa itself is an active molecule in the medicine and is available in different brands and variants in the market.
Below mentioned are various brands of Methyldopa medicine available:
- Alphadopa Tablet (Composition – Methyldopa (250mg)) – Manufactured by Wockhardt Ltd
- Gynapres 250mg Tablet (Composition – Methyldopa (250mg)) – Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Emdopa 250 mg Tablet (Composition – Methyldopa (250mg)) – Manufactured by Indian Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- AM Dopa 250 mg Tablet (Composition – Methyldopa (250mg)) – Manufactured by Dahlia Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd
- Alphadopa Tablet (Composition – Methyldopa (500mg)) – Manufactured by Wockhardt Ltd
Methyldopa Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Methyldopa.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Prevention of heart attack, stroke and kidney problems
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
How Does Methyldopa Work?
Methyldopa belongs to the class of medicine called as Centrally acting Antiadrenergic agents. It helps to block the action of a chemical that causes the narrowing of blood vessels. When the blood vessels are in dilated condition and relaxed, it enables smooth flow of the blood to various body parts and it is easy on the heart to pump the blood more efficiently.
Methyldopa Side Effects
When some type of medicine is used, it is very important to consider the side effects of that medicine before choosing to use.
- Pain in muscles
- Dryness in mouth
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure while standing)
Dosage of Methyldopa depends on blood pressure levels and your doctor would decide on the dosage and would prescribe accordingly to match your need. Use the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor and never alter the dosage without your doctor’s consent.
Consult your doctor immediately if any overdosage happens and you observe any overdosage symptoms. Never skip a dosage and never take an extra dose to cover up the missed out dose.
Methyldopa is not advised to use in some health conditions. Inform your doctor about any other health conditions you may be suffering. Below mentioned are some health conditions where the Methyldopa is not advised to use.
- Parkinson symptoms
- Chronic heart failure
- Immune hemolytic anemia
- Kidney or Renal impairment
- Liver or Hepatic impairment
- If allergic to Methyldopa or a similar medicine
Precautions while taking Methyldopa
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Even though this medicine is known to be safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women, it is advised to use this only after consulting with your doctor.
- Initially, you may feel dizzy after starting the usage. If you are in a resting position like sitting or sleeping, never rise suddenly but try to raise slowly or you may faint due to orthostatic hypotension.
- Your doctor may advise taking regular checkups to monitor the levels of urea, creatinine and potassium in the blood while under this medication.
- Inform your doctor about the medication you are using including any supplementary medicine such as Multivitamins and herbal products, etc.
- Inform about your health condition and any other health issues you are suffering to avoid possible side effects in some health conditions.
Drug interactions of Methyldopa
Methyldopa is known to show drug interactions when used along with some medicine. It is advised to share details about any other medication if you are using to treat any other medical conditions to avoid drug interactions while using Methyldopa. Below mentioned are some medications that have a chance of drug interactions when used along with Methyldopa.
- Lithium carbonate
- Calcium 600 D
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (Fish Oil Capsules)
- Prenatal Multivitamins (Vitamin supplements used in pregnancy)
- Multivitamins with minerals
Methyldopa may also show some adverse effects when used in some health conditions. It is advised to share details about your health condition with your doctor before he prescribes the medicine to avoid any such criticalities. Below mentioned are some health conditions to be considered before using Methyldopa.
- Liver Disease
- Cerebrovascular Disease
- Hemolytic Anemia
- Peripheral Edema
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.