Table of content
- What is Losartan?
- Losartan Composition and Active Ingredients
- Losartan Uses and Benefits
- How Does Losartan Work?
- Losartan Side Effects
- Losartan Dosage
- Losartan Contraindications
- Precautions while taking Losartan
- Drug interactions of Losartan
What is Losartan?
Losartan is a generic name of the medicine prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension and also prescribed in some patients suffering from cardiac-related issues to minimize the risk of stroke.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its benefits, how to use, side effects, contraindications and precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, etc.
Losartan belongs to the group of medicine called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. This medicine helps to avoid the narrowing of blood vessels and hence lowers the blood pressure and enhances the blood flow.
Losartan Composition and Active Ingredients
Losartan itself is an active molecule in the medicine and is available in different brands and variants in the market.
Below mentioned are various brands of Losartan medicine available:
- Losar – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Covance – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Losacar – Manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Tozaar – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Losium – Manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Angizaar – Manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Losanorm – Manufactured by Ipca Laboratories Ltd
Below mentioned are various brands of Losartan medicine available with the combination of other medicine:
These brands of Losartan medicine are available with a combination of other medicine.
Composition – Losartan (50mg) + Hydrochlorothiazide (12.5mg)
- Losar-H Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Repace H Tablet – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Composition – Losartan (50mg) + Amlodipine (5mg)
- Losar-A Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Amlokind-L Tablet – Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
Losartan Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Losartan.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart failure
- Prevention of heart attack and stroke
- Prevention or slowing of kidney damage in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes along with hypertension.
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
How Does Losartan Work?
Losartan belongs to angiotensin receptor blocker type of medicine. It helps to block the action of a chemical that causes the narrowing of blood vessels which enables in lowering the blood pressure. When the blood vessels are in dilated condition and relaxed it enables the smooth flow of blood to various body parts and helps the heart too to pump the blood more efficiently.
Losartan Side Effects
When some type of medicine is used, it is very important to consider the side effects of that medicine before choosing to use.
- Increased heart rate
- Irregular heartbeat
- Weakness or heaviness in the legs
- Back pain
Dosage of Losartan depends on blood pressure levels and your doctor would decide on the dosage and would prescribe accordingly to match your need. Use the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor and never alter the dosage without your doctor’s consent.
Consult your doctor immediately if any overdosage happens and you observe any overdosage symptoms. Never skip a dosage and take an extra dose to cover up the missed out dose.
Losartan is not advised to use in some health conditions. Inform your doctor about any other health conditions you may be suffering. Below mentioned are some health conditions where the Losartan is not advised to use.
- Renal artery stenosis
- Kidney or Renal impairment
- Liver or Hepatic impairment
Precautions while taking Losartan
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- It is not advised to use in pregnancy as it may even cause severe damage or even death to the fetus especially if used in the second or third trimester of the pregnancy. Discontinue the usage if you conceive while under this medication and consult with your doctor immediately.
- It is not advised to use NSAID medicine or pain medicine along with this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Initially, you may feel dizzy after starting the usage. If you are in a resting position like sitting or sleeping, never rise up suddenly but try to raise slowly.
- Your doctor may advise taking regular checkups to monitor the levels of urea, creatinine, and potassium in the blood while under this medication.
Drug interactions of Losartan
Losartan is known to show drug interactions when used along with some medicine. It is advised to share details about any other medication if you are using to treat any other medical conditions to avoid drug interactions while using Losartan. Below mentioned are some medications that have a chance of drug interactions when used along with Losartan.
- Viagra (Sildenafil)
Losartan may also show some adverse effects when used in some health conditions. It is advised to share details about your health condition with your doctor before he prescribes the medicine to avoid any such criticalities. Below mentioned are some health conditions to be considered before using Losartan.
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Congestive heart failure
- An electrolyte imbalance like low levels of potassium in the blood
- Dehydrated condition
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.