Levosulpiride is a prescription medicine for conditions like GERD, IBS, Indigestion, Depression, and Dyspepsia. It belongs to the class of medications called atypical antipsychotic drugs. Get to know how Levosulpiride works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Levosulpiride is not suggested.
Active Ingredients and Composition
This medicine is available as single composite and also with a combination of few other medicines. Few examples are mentioned below. Depending on your condition, Doctor prescribes an appropriate combination of drugs, hence advised to take this medicine only with a proper prescription from a doctor.
Few examples of available combinations of this medicine are:
- Levosulpiride and Esomeprazole
- Levosulpiride and Ilaprazole
Uses of Levosulpiride
Below mentioned are few examples of conditions in which Levosulpiride is prescribed for treating. It is strongly suggested to use this medicine only with proper diagnosis and medical advice.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome Dyspepsia
- Diabetic Gastroparesis
Side Effects of Levosulpiride
When some drug is administered to control certain health conditions, there is also a chance of getting few unintended side effects. Similarly, Levosulpiride also has a chance of showing some side effects. These side effects might not occur in every patient. But if they show up and continue for a long period, inform your doctor to get medical attention and treated properly. Your doctor may suggest a change in medication based on the condition.
Few possible side effects are:
- Breast tenderness
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Unusual tiredness and weakness
- Decrease in libido
- Excessive sweating
- Change in heart rate
It is not recommended to use this medicine if you are allergic to any ingredients in this medicine, or some similar medicine, or have a history of any kind of allergies. Let your Doctor know if you have any such health problems to get proper guidance and right prescription. Below mentioned are few conditions in which this medicine is not prescribed.
- Bipolar disorder
- Pheochromocytoma: A type tumor that can occur in the adrenal glands.
- Gastrointestinal perforation: Commonly called ruptured bowel, is a hole in the wall of the gastrointestinal tract
- Breast cancer
Levosulpiride Drug interactions
When some medicine is used along with some other medicines they have a chance of interacting each other. Similarly, Levosulpiride also shows some drug interaction. It is advised that you inform your Doctor about any type of medicine you are using for any health problems. Also, inform the doctor about any health supplements, vitamin supplements you are using to avoid any unwanted side effects. The doctor may suggest changes in your medication accordingly. Below mentioned are some of the drugs that Levosulpiride has a chance of interacting.
- Aluminium Hydroxide
- Magnesium Hydroxide
This medicine is also not recommended in some health conditions. If you suffer any of below mentioned health conditions, let your doctor know, for better treatment based on your health condition.
- Alcohol: It is not recommended to take along with alcohol, as it might result in adverse effects on Central Nervous System
- Asthma: It is not recommended for Asthma patients
- Heart-related health problems: If you are suffering from any kind of heart problems, this medicine is recommended in such situations.
- Gastro-Intestinal bleeding: If you have any kind of internal bleeding in stomach or intestine.
- Prolactin imbalance: This medicine is not recommended for patients with prolactin imbalance.
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome: This medicine is also not recommended for patients suffering this condition
Levosulpiride Medicines that are available
There are several brands of this medicine are available in the market. Information provided here is for information purpose only. It is strongly recommended to consult your doctor and use any medicine with proper prescription only, to avoid unwanted side effects.
- Lesuride – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Nexipride – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Micropride – Micro Labs Ltd
- Levazeo – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Levogastrol – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Neopride – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Volapride – Mankind Pharma Ltd
General warnings about Usage of Levosulpiride
- Follow the doctor’s instructions properly while using this medicine
- Generally, it is effective if used at least half-an-hour before taking any food
- This is advised use this medicine with caution in patients who suffer from heart-related problems and if they have got any instance of stroke or blood clotting disorders
- This medicine may cause drowsiness, hence it is strongly advised to do driving or operate any heavy machinery
- Should be used with caution and proper advice in elder patients
- It is not recommended in patients who are suffering from extreme abnormal levels of prolactin.
- It is recommended to use this medicine only with proper consultation and prescription
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available to you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Kaleem Mohammed graduated as a Bachelor of Physiotherapy in 2014 from Deccan College of Physiotherapy, affiliated to Dr. N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, India. Dr. Kaleem is an expert at handling physiotherapy needs of patients suffering from orthopedic and spinal conditions and post-surgery rehabilitation. Dr. Kaleem is associated with HealthClues since its inception where he facilitates diagnosis and advanced consultation with senior doctors. He is also a medical researcher and prolific writer who loves sharing insightful commentaries and useful tips to educate the patient community about fitness, treatment options, and post-treatment recovery.