Levocetirizine belongs to the antihistamine category of drugs, which is useful in treating seasonal and general allergic symptoms like running nose, sneezing, itching in the eyes, watering in the eyes. Get to know how Levocetirizine works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Levocetirizine is not suggested.
It is also useful in treating
Itching conditions caused by the result of hives. Hives are red, swollen, itchy patches on the skin. Sometimes it is also used in combination with some other drugs, depending on the health problem.
Levocetirizine is a third generation anti-histamine drug that is derived from cetirizine. Levocetirizine is not an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine. It is a prescription based medicine. Levocetirizine is available in oral tablet and oral syrup forms. This medicine is available in both branded and generic forms.
How does Levocetirizine work?
Levocetirizine blocks the action of certain chemical messenger called histamine that is released from the cells in the body. Histamine is the key cause of allergic reactions, congestion, itching, and other inflammation.
Levocetirizine can effectively treat the symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis namely sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
Levocetirizine can effectively treat the symptoms of Utricaria which could be red and itchy rashes and raised bumps on the skin.
Levocetirizine helps in relieving seasonal and long-term allergy symptoms, such as:
- Postnasal discharge
- Ocular pruritus
- Nasal pruritus
- Runny nose
These allergic reactions can happen after you touch or inhale allergens such as plant pollen, mold, or pet dander. Allergies usually affect your nose, sinuses, throat, and other areas of your upper respiratory system.
It also helps relieve hives. They are itchy, raised rashes on the skin. Hives often occur with food allergies or medication allergies.
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
Side effects of Levocetirizine
Some side effects might be seen by using this medicine. But they might not occur always. Some may be rare side effects, but serious ones. Following is a list of possible side effects that occur with the usage of this drug. This list is a comprehensive one. It is advisable to visit your Doctor if you notice any of such side effects and that continue for a longer period.
- Running Nose and Cough
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Dry Mouth
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in passing urine
It is not recommended to use this drug if you have history of allergic reactions towards Levocetirizine or Cetirizine
Levocetirizine is also not recommended in patients suffering severe kidney disease. Is not recommended for children below 12 years of age with kidney disorders.
Dosage must be followed exactly as directed by the Doctor to avoid any unnecessary side effects. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
Your doctor recommends the dosage that should be followed based on the following key points:
- Health condition being treated
- Other medical issues if you have any
- Other medicines that you are taking for any other health problems
- Patient age
- Patient gender
- Patient weight
The recommended dose range of Levocetirizine for the treatment of hay fever, hives, or allergies is 5 to 10 mg (milligram). The maximum recommended dose is 10 mg (milligram) daily.
Available medicines for Levocetirizine
- Teczine 10mg Tablet – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Xyzal 10mg Tablet – Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd
- Levocet 5mg Tablet – Hetero Drugs Ltd
- Vozet 5mg Tablet – Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd
- Levosiz 10mg Tablet – Systopic Laboratories Pvt
- Lezyncet 10mg Tablet – Unichem Laboratories Ltd
- Lecope-M Tablet – Mankind Pharma Ltd
Doctor’s advice for Levocetirizine Tablet:
- Levocetirizine is a very safe and well-tolerated medicine for short-term use
- Consuming high dose can cause serious liver damage
- If you are suffering from liver disease, inform your doctor first. Your dose may need to be adjusted
- When you taking Levocetirizine, Avoid excess intake of alcohol, together they can affect your liver
- If you have taken an overdose of Levocetirizine Immediately inform your doctor or contact a hospital emergency and you are feeling unwell
Levocetirizine – Precautions & How to Use
Before using Levocetirizine, inform your doctor if you are under any medications, or using any over the counter products like vitamin supplements, herbal supplements, etc. If you have any allergies, pre-existing diseases, and inform about your current health conditions (for example pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Much risk getting side effects might be there if you are using this medicine in some health conditions. Inform your Doctor about your health problems if any to avoid side effects. Dosage of this medicine should be followed as directed by your doctor or as the directions printed on the product insert. Dosage is based on your condition and symptoms. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Taking more than prescribed Levocetirizine may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects. Levocetirizine is available in the market in various dosage forms. Read the label carefully before taking this medicine to avoid overdosage. Taking an excess dose can cause confusion, dizziness, diarrhea, headache, fatigue, malaise, restlessness, pruritus, sedation, somnolence, stupor, tremor, tachycardia and urinary retention.
If you miss a certain dose, then take it sooner possible, and if it’s nearing next dosage schedule, skip the missed dosage and continue the regular dosage schedule. Don’t take an extra dose.
- Avoid Taking Levocetirizine with alcohol it can increase the risk of stomach bleeding
- Levocetirizine may be unsafe to use during pregnancy consult your doctor before taking this drug
- It is safe to use during lactation but it’s important to consult your doctor
- Should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Please consult your doctor before consuming this medication
- Levocetirizine should be used with caution in patients with renal disease. Dose adjustment of the drug may be needed. Please consult your doctor before taking medication
- It is advisable to take this medication at bedtime it makes you drowsy.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available to you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Kaleem Mohammed graduated as a Bachelor of Physiotherapy in 2014 from Deccan College of Physiotherapy, affiliated to Dr. N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, India. Dr. Kaleem is an expert at handling physiotherapy needs of patients suffering from orthopedic and spinal conditions and post-surgery rehabilitation. Dr. Kaleem is associated with HealthClues since its inception where he facilitates diagnosis and advanced consultation with senior doctors. He is also a medical researcher and prolific writer who loves sharing insightful commentaries and useful tips to educate the patient community about fitness, treatment options, and post-treatment recovery.