Human Mixtard is a medication used to treat patients suffering from type 2 diabetes. It belongs to an anti-diabetic group of drugs and is available in the form of injection. Get to know how Human Mixtard works, its uses, side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Human Mixtard is not suggested.
Active ingredients in Human Mixtard injection
This injection is a combination of two types of insulin that are:
- Isophane Insulin
- Regular Insulin
The ratio of these two ingredients may differ in various versions of the injections. Your doctor will decide which one to prescribe based on the diabetic level you have. And it is strongly advised to use this medicine with the proper guidance from your Diabetologists. Information provided here is for informative purpose only.
How the Human Mixtard injection works?
The combination of Isophane Insulin and Regular Insulin helps to increase the usage of blood glucose available in the body and thereby controlling the blood sugar levels.
Uses of Human Mixtard injection
This medication is mainly prescribed to treat the type 2 diabetes. Please consult your diabetic expert for proper combination guidance suitable to you.
Side effects of Human Mixtard injection
Like, with the usage of any medication this drug also may show some side effects in some patients. There might be a chance of getting some side effects as mentioned below. Please stop using the medicine and consult your doctor immediately if you notice any such side effects.
- Hypoglycemia or decrease in blood sugar levels
- Weight gain
Mentioned below are some of the severe side effects and that need to be addressed asap.
- Muscle cramps
- Leg cramps
- Irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty in breathing or Shortness of breath
If you suffer from any other side effects that are not mentioned here, still you are strongly advised to visit your doctor for proper evaluation.
Dosage of Human Mixtard injection
Dosage of the medication depends on various factors like the sugar levels or diabetic levels of the patient, age of the patient, body weight, etc. It is recommended to consult your doctor for proper dosage details suitable for your condition. Use properly as directed by the doctor. And do not overuse. If by mistake you missed a certain dose, use it as soon possible once you remember. If it is almost the time for next dose schedule, then skip the missed one and continue with the regular dose. Never use an extra dosage, which might result in Hypoglycemia of decrease in blood sugar levels.
Drug interactions of Human Mixtard injection
While we use any drug to treat some health problem, it is advised we are aware of the side effects that the particular medicine does if used along with a combination of some other drugs. In general, your doctor would know that and would prescribe you the safest combination for your condition. But if you are already under some medication or using any other drugs or supplements or over the counter products or drugs, please let your doctor know before he prescribes you the medicine to avoid any possible drug interactions and side effects due to that combination. Below mentioned is the list of some drugs that are known to show drug interaction with the drug combination of Human Mixtard injection. Be alert if you are already using any of such drugs and inform your doctor.
Contraindications for Human Mixtard injection
This medication is not recommended to use in some health conditions like if the patient is suffering from below mentioned conditions:
- If suffering with low levels of blood sugar
- If the potassium levels in the blood are low
- Liver related health problems
- Kidney related issues
- If you have any known allergic reactions towards drugs like insulin or protamine
Human Mixtard injection – Precautions
Precautions to be taken before using the Human Mixtard injection are like:
- Not advised to use if you have any history of allergic reactions towards this drug
- Consumption of alcohol along with this medication is not recommended as it would increase the risk of drop in blood glucose levels or the condition called hypoglycemia
- Follow the usage instructions as suggested by your doctor to avoid any possible side effects
- Inform your doctor about any health issues related to heart, kidney, liver or any thyroid related problems if you suffer any, before he prescribes you the medicine
- Inform the doctor about any over the counter drugs or health supplements or any herbal products that you might be using before using this medication.
- Blood sugar levels must be closely monitored while under this medication
- Do not alter the dosage or suddenly stop using this medicine without the guidance of your doctor.
Substitute medicine for Human Mixtard injection
Below mentioned are the substitute medicine that your doctor may prescribe as an alternative to this medicine. Do not use them without your doctor’s prescription or guidance. Mentioned list here is for informative purpose only.
- Human Mixtard Injection – Novo Nordisk India Pvt Ltd
- Insugen – Biocon
- Wosulin Injection – Wockhardt Ltd
- Lupisulin Injection – Lupin Ltd
- Humstard Injection – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Insucare-M Injection – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!