Gemcal capsule is used for calcium supplementation in calcium deficiencies such as osteoporosis, weak bones, osteomalacia, rickets, etc. Gemcal capsules are an excellent dietary and nutritional supplement. Get to know how Gemcal works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Gemcal is not recommended to use.
Importance of Calcium in our body
Calcium plays an essential role in the body. It is necessary for the normal functioning of cells, muscle, nerves, and bone. If the blood contains less amount of calcium, then the calcium is absorbed from bones, which results in weakness of bones. Hence it is essential to balance the calcium intake to keep our bones healthy. Vitamin D plays a vital role in calcium and phosphorus absorption by the body. The right proportion of all minerals is important for formation and maintenance of strong bones. Gemcal capsule is good for pregnant women after 12 weeks of pregnancy for bone formation and development of the baby. Gemcal capsule is even advised to treat weak bones after the end of menstrual cycle. Here are a few useful articles that talk about Calcium supplementation options.
Gemcal Capsule Composition and Active Ingredients
The unique combination of Gemcal capsule contains Calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3. The combined active ingredients (salts) are as follows:
- Calcitriol – A synthetic vitamin D analog which is active in the regulation of absorption of calcium from the gastrointestinal tract and its utilization in the body.
- Calcium Carbonate – Is rich source of calcium and is essential for the normal functioning of nerves, cells, muscle and bone. Calcium prevents bone loss
- Zinc – helps in proper growth and development and boosts the body’s immunity as well. Improves calcitriol response and helps to arrest bone loss in postmenopausal women
Manufactured By – Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription –Not required as it is available as OTC medicine
Form – Tablets, capsules, suspensions.
Type of Drug – Nutritional supplement
In case you would like to look at other Calcium options that are available as dietary supplements, here is a useful link.
Gemcal Capsule Uses and Benefits
This medicine can be administered in the prevention, control, and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Post-menopausal osteoporosis
- Calcium deficiency
- Dietary supplement
- Bones weakness
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Duodenal ulcer
- Poor Parathyroid function
- Low blood calcium level
- Dietary deficiencies
- Wilson’s disease
- Low hemoglobin
- Loss of sensation
- Adjunct therapy in severe muscle tightness
- Decrease in muscle mass
- Vitamin k deficiency
- Blood clotting problems
- Obstructive jaundice
- Liver diseases
- Low amounts of magnesium in the blood
- Chronic renal failure
- Zinc deficiencies
- Diarrhea in malnutrition children
- Anticoagulants overdose
- Dietary deficiency
- Bone formation
- Better absorption
- High Phosphate levels
Osteoporosis may result in bone weakness and cause back pain due to disk degeneration of the spinal cord. In severe conditions, doctor may suggest using back supports braces like Contoured LS Support. You can visit the below link for more information on the product.
Side Effects of Gemcal Capsule
Below are the common side effects that can occur from Gemcal capsule. Medical assistance is needed if the following side effects persist:
- Skin irritation
- Contact dermatitis
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Allergic rejection of the drug by the body
- Muscular weakness
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain
- Vomiting and nausea
- Risk of increase in levels of calcium in the blood and urine
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Ache
- Headache with fever
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
- Difficulty in urination
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
Contraindications of Gemcal Capsule
Hypersensitivity to constituents of Gemcal capsule is a contraindication. In addition, Gemcal capsule should not be used if you have the following ailments:
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
- High amounts of calcium in the blood
- Kidney disease
- Kidney stone
- Tumor that dissolves bone
- Extreme loss of body water
- Incomplete or infrequent bowel movements
- Increased activity of the parathyroid gland
Gemcal Capsule Dosage
The general dosage of Gemcal capsule is 1 tablet per day orally with water. Consult your physician for proper guidance about the right dosage instructions to match your need.
Precautions while taking Gemcal Capsule
Inform your doctor if you are having any other medical condition. Follow below-listed precautions before using Gemcal capsules. Consult your physician if you are suffering from any of the following conditions
- The capsule is not given if you have an active peptic ulcer.
- Avoid Gemcal capsule in patients with repeated blood transfusion.
- Not recommended for patients with High phosphate and calcium levels in blood
- Inform if you are having hypervitaminosis D
- Gemcal capsule is contradicted in patients with problem of kidney stones
- Do not take Gemcal capsule/tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Do not take it in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor.
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- This capsule is not advised in patients who have dehydration, and cardiac problems.
- Make sure to check the expiry date of the medicine before start using it by checking the label
Overdosage or Missed Dose
Taking more than prescribed Gemcal capsule may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor if you find any side effects. If a certain dose is missed, try to take it as soon as possible and if it is near to the time of next dose then skip the previous and continue with the next dose.
Gemcal capsule is commonly prescribed to pregnant women with calcium deficiency. This helps in the bone-building process and bone strengthening of fetus. Do confirm with your doctor before taking this drug.
You can take Gemcal capsule if you are breastfeeding. Consult your Doctor before taking this drug.
For children and infants
This medicine should not be given to children unless it is prescribed by a doctor. Gemcal capsule is not recommended in infants.
Gemcal Capsule Drug Interactions
If you are taking any other products or drugs along with Gemcal capsule, the effects of Gemcal capsule may change, or risk of getting side effects may be higher. Let your doctor know about any other medication or vitamin, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your doctor can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. The drugs which interact with Gemcal capsules are:
Substitutes for Gemcal Capsule
Following are the list of alternatives of Gemcal capsule and have the same composition, and form as Gemcal capsule and hence can be used instead:
- Calten Cap
- Calgel Cap
- Calbec Gems Tab
- CalcimarSoftgel Cap
- Calcitol 500mg Tab
- Calzac Ct Cap
- Caltroy Plus Cap
- Calcosure Cap
- Caldison Ct Tab
- Calway C Cap
- Citical Ct Cap
- Drocal Ct Tab
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Alekhya is an experienced dental surgeon with over five years of clinical experience in prestigious dental clinics in Hyderabad, India. She graduated as a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) from MNR Dental College in 2012.
Dr. Alekhya has also been involved with notable campaigns and health awareness programs. She is presently employed with Immertive where she supervises the development of virtual reality and augmented reality based applications for training healthcare professionals. In addition to following her career, Dr. Alekhya is very passionate about sharing her knowledge as a guest contributor on various health-related publications including HealthClues.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!