Galvus met (biguanide) 50Mg/500Mg tablet is a drug that helps to maintain balanced blood sugar levels in the body. It is used to treat type 2 diabetes, heart disorders, and polycystic ovary syndrome. Get to know how Galvus met works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Galvus met is not suggested.
Composition of Galvus met tablet
It is available in local pharmacies as an oral solution or in tablet form. It is manufactured by Novartis India Ltd. It is a combination of two anti-diabetic medications.
Galvus met tablet Mechanism of action
The combined two anti-diabetic medicines reduce both fasting and post meal sugar levels by performing following actions:
It helps to reduce glucose production in the liver, and delays glucose absorption from intestines and increasing the body’s sensitivity to insulin.
It is a DPP-4 inhibitor which works by increasing the release of insulin from the pancreas and decreasing the hormones that raise blood sugar levels.
Uses and benefits of Galvus met tablet
It is prescribed for the following list of treatment, control, prevention of the diseases, symptoms, and conditions:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Dosage of Galvus met tablet
Dosage of Galvus met tablet always based on your age, your health condition, and the severity and other medications that you are currently taking. According to your health status, your doctor prescribes the dose. You should always follow the full course of treatment. And please do not skip any of a dose.
Side effects of Galvus met tablet
The side-effects that are caused by composed ingredients of Galvus met tablet. The following side effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of these side-effects are rare but life-threatening. Please visit your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects. Consuming this medicine with food and proper exercise may lower the risk of developing side effects.
The following are the side effects of Galvus met Tablet:
- Stomach cramps
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Cold or numb sensation in the arms and legs.
- Irregular heartbeat
Galvus met tablet – Precautions and How to use
- Inform your doctor, before you take Galvus met tablet, about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, present and past health status, pregnancy, upcoming surgeries.
- Some of the health condition can make susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Take as exactly prescribed by your doctor. or follow the direction printed on the product insert.
- Dosage always depends upon your blood sugar levels.
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date stated on the tablet.
- Medicine should be stored away from the reach of children.
- Take the full course of treatment.
- The medicine can be stored at room temperature and avoid direct exposure to heat and sunlight.
- Visit or consult immediately with the doctor while taking the drug if your condition persists or worsens.
Missed dose should be taken as soon as you remember. If it is near time for next dose, you can skip the previous dose and do not take a double dose.
If you have taken Galvus met tablet extra dose visit or consult your doctor immediately. The symptoms of an overdose include nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, shaking, chest pain, convulsions, and palpitations.
Galvus met tablet – contraindications
Hypersensitivity to Galvus met tablet is a contraindication. Galvus met tablet is contraindicated if you have the following symptoms or conditions:
- Impaired kidney function
- Allergic reactions
- Heart disease
- Low blood sugar levels
- Metabolic acidosis
- Liver disease
Galvus met tablet – Drug interactions
The other medications or over the counter products if you take at the same time, the action of Galvus met tablet may change. This might increase chances of side effects or can make your drug not to work properly. If you inform your doctor about all your health history so that it is easy for the doctor to manage or prevent drug interactions. The drugs which interact with Galvus met tablet are:
- Iodinated contrast media
- Aloe vera
Substitutes of Galvus met tablet
- Jalra-M 50Mg/500Mg Tablet
- Zomelis met 50Mg/500Mg Tablet
- Vysov-M 1000Mg
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!