Table of content
- What is Flexpen?
- Flexpen Composition and Active Ingredients
- Flexpen Uses and Benefits
- Advantages of Flexpen
- How does the medication works?
- Side effects of Flexpen
- Precautions to be taken while using Flexpen
What is Flexpen?
Flexpen is the trademark name of a device used to inject insulin, an anti-diabetic prescription medicine used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in both adults and children. Flexpen is available in different variations. Let’s explore more details about its uses, application, precautions and advantages and disadvantages, etc in this article.
Flexpens are advised to use in combination with regular exercise and healthy diet plan to achieve the best results. The main advantage of Flexpen is they are easy for self-use. Patients can use them to inject their insulin themselves.
Flexpen Composition and Active Ingredients
Flexpens are available under various brand names, below mentioned brands of Flexpens are manufactured by Novo Nordisk Pvt Ltd
- Novomix 30 Flexpen 100IU/ml – (Composition – Insulin Aspart (30%) + Insulin Aspart Protamine (70%))
- Novomix 50 Suspension for Injection 100IU/ml – (Composition – Insulin Aspart (50%) + Insulin Aspart Protamine (50%))
- Novorapid 100 IU/ml Solution for Injection – (Composition – Insulin Aspart (100IU))
- Actrapid 100 IU/ml Flexpen – (Composition – Human Insulin/Soluble Insulin (100IU))
- Levemir 100 IU/ml Solution for Injection – (Composition – Insulin detemir (100IU))
- Mixtard 30 Suspension for Injection 100IU/ml – (Composition – Insulin Isophane/NPH (70%) + Human Insulin/Soluble Insulin (30%))
- Insulatard 100 IU/ml Suspension for Injection – (Composition – Insulin Isophane/NPH (100IU/ml))
Manufactured By – Flexpen is manufactured by Novo Nordisk Pvt Ltd which is a multinational pharmaceutical company with Denmark as origin country and with production facilities in eight different countries.
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – FlexPen is a prefilled pen that is easy to use. Flexpens are available in two different forms.
- Prefilled Flexpens
- Durable Flexpens
Flexpen Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the Flexpen.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes
Advantages of Flexpen
- Ready to use and no need of loading the medicine into the syringe as they come prefilled with the medicine.
- Flexpens are available in different colors based on the type of medicine and hence it is easy for elder patients too for easy recognition and selection of their kind of Flexpen.
- Measuring the dosage is also easy as they come with dosage measuring scale. Hence there is accuracy in dosage while using the medicine.
How does the medication works?
The active ingredient Insulin Aspart in Novolog Flexpen shows the rapid onset of action and works within ten to twenty minutes after using. So it is advised to take the food immediately within 5-10 minutes after administering the injection.
Novomix Flexpen composition is the combination of two types of Insulin as mentioned earlier. Insulin Aspart shows the rapid onset of action and works within ten to twenty minutes after using and the other ingredient Insulin Aspart Protamine works slowly and consistently to show its effect for a long duration up to 24 hours. Together this combination is helpful in controlling the diabetic levels in the blood by its rapid and prolonged action which enables the reuptake of available sugar in the blood by muscles and fat cells and suppresses further increase of sugar levels by inhibiting the liver cells which are likely to produce more sugar in diabetic patients.
Side effects of FlexPen
Side effects are based on the ingredients in the Flexpen, depending on the type of Flexpen that you are using. Below mentioned are few commonly possible side effects.
Side Effects of Insulin Aspart
Given below are some possible side effects of Insulin Aspart the key ingredient present in Novolog FlexPen. Some of the below mentioned are common and some are rare.
- Behavior Change Similar To Being Drunk
- Blurred Vision
- Cold Sweats
- Difficulty with Thinking
- Dizziness or Lightheadedness
- Excessive Hunger
- Fast Heartbeat
- Irritability or IBS
- Restless Sleep
- Slurred Speech
- Tingling in Hands, Feet, Lips, and Tongue
- Low blood levels (Hypoglycemia)
- Weight gain
- Itching or mild skin rashes
Side Effects of Insulin Aspart and Insulin Aspart Protamine combination
Given below are some possible side effects that may occur due to the mix of Insulin Aspart and Insulin Aspart Protamine the key ingredients present in Novomix Flexpen.
- Weight gain
- Allergic reaction at the site of application of injection
- Lipodystrophy (Skin thickening or pits at the injection site)
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level)
Precautions to be taken while using Flexpen
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Never consume alcohol while under this medication as it may adversely affect the blood glucose levels.
- Never share an injection with other patients or family members even if the needle is replaced with a new one.
- Never freeze the medicine and never use if the medicine looks cloudy.
- Low blood levels (Hypoglycemia) may occur if used in combination with other medicine for the diabetic condition or with alcohol.
- Never alter the dosage or timings without your doctor’s consent.
- The dosage depends on the patient condition and varies from person to person.
- Never switch the brand of the medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Inform your doctor about your regular medication or any other healthcare supplements that you might be using to avoid any possible adverse effects.
- Read the instruction provided on the label to be on safer side before using the medicine.
- This medicine is advised to store in a cool environment like a refrigerator but not in the freezer. Never use the medicine if frozen.
- This medicine is recommended to use subcutaneously but not by intravenous (IV).
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.