Entresto belongs to a class of medicines called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). This medication is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). Get to know how Entresto works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Entresto is not suggested.
Entresto composition and active ingredients
Entresto contains sacubitril and valsartan as active ingredients. This tablet is manufactured & marketed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals. It is available in the market in a packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
How does Entresto work?
Entresto belongs to the class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers. It improves the patient’s condition by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily. Lowering high BP helps prevent heart attacks, strokes, and kidney problems. It is also used to improve the chance of living longer after a heart attack.
Entresto Uses and Benefits
- It is used to treat high blood pressure (Hypertension).
- It is used to help heart function after a heart attack.
- It is used to treat heart failure (weak heart).
- Valsartan may also be used to help protect the kidneys from damage due to diabetes.
- It may be given to you for other reasons also, talk with a health expert for better understanding.
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
Entresto side effects
The below-mentioned list contains possible side effects that may occur from all constituting ingredients of Entresto. These side effects of Entresto are possible but do not always occur. Some of the side effects may be rare but serious. Consult your physician if you notice any of the following side effects, especially if they do not go away.
The following are the most common side effects of Entresto:
- Stuffy nose
- Sinus irritation
- Back pain
- Loose stools
- Trouble breathing
- Skin rash
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Unexplained weight gain
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- Irregular heartbeat
- Increased potassium levels in the blood
This is not a complete list of side effects and other effects may also occur. Please consult your health expert to know more about other possible side effects.
Do not take Entresto if you are suffering from the following conditions:
- Have experienced angioedema as a reaction to any Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB)
- Are allergic to valsartan or any ingredients of the medication
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are low on bodily fluids
- Have kidney disease
The dosage and the drug form of Entresto depend on the patient’s age, weight, and medical condition. Take Entresto only as prescribed by your health expert. Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Entresto can be taken with or without food. Consume the missed out dose as soon as you remember. Never take an extra dose without proper consultation.
The recommended dose of Entresto for following conditions is:
- Hypertension: 20-80 mg daily
- Cardiovascular risk reduction: 80 mg daily
Precautions while taking Entresto
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as Entresto causes dizziness and/or blurred vision.
- Inform your physician before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Entresto
- Monitor your blood pressure on a regular basis while on Entresto.
- Take the dosage as prescribed by your health expert.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may cause excessive drowsiness when taken with Entresto.
- Pregnant women or women who are trying to conceive should avoid consuming Entresto since it can cause harm to fetal development. It might not be suitable for everyone, since consuming this medicine can lead to complications for patients affected by disorders such as liver disease, heart disease, kidney failure, and diabetes. If you are suffering from these conditions, you should inform your physician, before taking this drug.
Avoid Entresto if you notice the following sign & symptoms:
- The foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discoloration.
- It has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
Entresto – Drug interactions
If used along with some other drugs like over the counter medications the effectiveness of this medicine may be impacted and it may not work properly.
Entresto may interact with the following medicines and products:
Substitutes for Entresto
Here is the List of substitute medicines which have the same composition, strength and form as Entresto:
- Telmikind 40mg – Mankind Pharma
- Temsan 40mg – Emcure Pharma
- Zitelmi-40 – FDC
- Telvas-40 – Aristo Pharma
- Hitarget-40 – Panacea Biotec
- Teleact 40mg – Ranbaxy
- Telday 40mg – Torrent Pharma
- Teli-40mg – Cadila Pharma
- Telpres 40mg – Abbott India
- Cresar 40mg – Cipla
- Arbitel 40mg – Micro Labs
- Macsart – 40mg – Macleods
- Telista 40 mg – Lupin Pharma
- Tetan-40mg – Alembic Pharma
- TelsartanActiv 40mg – Dr. Reddy
- Telma-40mg – Glenmark
- Telsar 40mg – Unichem
- Tazloc 40mg – USV
- Tellzy 40mg – Alembic Pharma
- Telwin 40mg – Psychotropics India
- Telminorm 40 mg – Ipca Labs
- Targit-40mg – Pfizer
- Sartel-40 – Intas Pharma
FAQ’s about Entresto
While taking Entresto Should I follow any dietary precautions?
Sometimes this medicine may cause diarrhea. While taking Entresto, drink plenty of fluids and solutions that contain water and salt to restore the lost electrolytes.
How long can I take Entresto?
It is recommended to take Entresto for the prescribed duration. Discontinuing the medication early may cause the illness to return.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Shikha Khare is a mentor at MDS CONQUER – A premier institute for NEET MDS aspirants. She has completed her Masters in Dental Surgery from JSS Dental College, Mysore with distinction. She has several publications to her credit and has been awarded for the best original research paper presentation by Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology.
She is a passionate writer and a keen reader, determined to promote health awareness among the masses.