What is Eldoper Capsule?
Eldoper Capsule is an effective anti-diarrhea medication and contains Loperamide as the key ingredient. Eldoper Capsule is generally used to treat diarrhea that occurs suddenly which lasts for a short duration. Get to know how Eldoper works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Eldoper is not suggested.
Protective Sports Gear – Attractive Deals!
Eldoper Capsule – Active Ingredients and Composition
Eldoper Capsule is composed of the following active ingredient.
- Loperamide – 2 MG
Manufactured By – Micro Labs Ltd
Prescription – Not required as it is available as OTC
Form – Capsules
Expiry/Shelf Life –24 months in general from the manufacturing date
Generic Name(s) of Eldoper Capsule
Loperamide or Loperamide Hydrochloride is the generic name of Eldoper Capsule.
Uses of Eldoper Capsule
The complete list of uses and indications for Eldoper Capsule is as follows:
- Acute/chronic Diarrhea
- Loose stools
- Mild traveler’s diarrhea
- Short bowel disease
- Idiopathic diarrhea in aids patients
- Non-infective diarrhea
How does it work?
Loperamide, the active ingredient in Eldoper helps the stool to be firm and less watery and makes the process of digestion slower so that small intestine has sufficient time to absorb the fluids and nutrients from the food.
Side Effects Eldoper Capsule
In addition to its intended benefits, Eldoper Capsule may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately. Please inform your physician if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Some of the known side effects of Eldoper are:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Some of the adverse effects due to overdosage include:
- Central Nervous system (CNS) depression
- Urinary retention
- Paralytic ileus
Children can be more sensitive to central nervous system depression compared to others in the case of overdosage.
Protective Sports Gear – Attractive Deals!
Eldoper Capsule Dosage
Note: Dosage details mentioned here is for informative purpose only. It is advised to use this medicine only with proper medical supervision only.
The Dosage of Eldoper Capsule depends on the age and condition of the patient. Follow the directions provided by your doctor for usage and dosage.
The initial recommended dose is 4mg (2 capsules) followed by 2mg (1 capsule) after each unformed stool until diarrhoea is under control.
Generally, the maximum suggested dosage for an adult patient is 16mg at max per day and it is at max 6mg per day for kids at the age spectrum of 9-11 years. Consult a pediatrician if want to use for kids below this age. Never self-treat or alter the dosage without the doctor’s consent.
Contraindications for Eldoper Capsule
This Capsule is not recommended for use if you have a known history of allergy to Loperamide (the primary ingredient of Eldoper Capsule).
This Capsule is not recommended for use if you have stomach pain without loose stools.
This Capsule is not recommended for use in patients suffering from an infected colon or infectious diarrhea/dysentery. The infection could be caused by Salmonella, Clostridium, Shigella or Campylobacter strains of bacteria.
Diarrhea due to consumption of antibiotics
This Capsule is not recommended for use if you have an episode of diarrhea caused by the consumption of an antibiotic.
Eldoper Capsule – Precautions & How to Use
Following precautions must be exercised while taking this Capsule:
- Take this medicine only on doctor’s prescription.
- Advised not to use along with alcohol.
- Consult the doctor in case of any overdosage happens.
- Before taking this drug, inform your doctor if you have liver problems or intestinal/stomach related problems.
- Let your doctor know if you suffer any health issues related to gastric or liver.
- Do not take Eldoper Capsule if your stool is dark or black in color.
- Before taking Eldoper Capsule, inform your physician if you have HIV infection/AIDS.
- This medicine should not be given to pregnant women unless directed by the doctor otherwise.
- This medicine is generally not given to children below 6 years unless directed by the doctor otherwise.
- Consult your doctor if the symptoms of diarrhea prolong 48 hours or more.
- Consult the doctor if you observe any blood in the stools or you suffer fever.
- It is not advised to use if you are allergic to this drug or its components.
Eldoper Capsule – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or other drugs at the same time, the effects of the Eldoper Capsule may change. This may increase your risk for side-effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your physician about all the drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your physician can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Eldoper Capsule may interact with the following medicines and products:
Substitutes for Eldoper Capsule
List of substitutes for Eldoper Capsule below is the list of drugs, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Eldoper Capsule, and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Imodium 2 MG Capsule – Janssen
- Loperamide (Cadila) 2 mg Capsule – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Loopra 2 MG Capsule – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lopidus 2 MG Capsule – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Roko 2 MG Capsule – Cipla Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!