Eldoper tablet is an effective anti-diarrhea medication. This medicine is generally used to treat diarrhea that occurs suddenly which lasts for a short duration. Get to know how Eldoper works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Eldoper is not suggested.
Eldoper tablet – Active Ingredients and Composition
Eldoper tablet is manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd. It is available in the form of a strip of Ten tablets. This medicine is composed of the following active ingredient.
- Loperamide – 2 MG
How does it work?
Loperamide, the active ingredient in Eldoper helps the stool be firmer and less watery; and makes the process of digestion slower, so that small intestine has sufficient time to absorb the fluids and nutrients from the food.
Generic Name(s) of Eldoper tablet
Loperamide or Loperamide Hydrochloride is the generic name of Eldoper tablet.
Uses of Eldoper tablet
Eldoper tablet is a medicine that is used for the treatment of chronic diarrhea, loose stools, mild traveler’s diarrhea, non-infective diarrhea, idiopathic diarrhea in AIDS patients and other conditions.
The complete list of uses and indications for Eldoper tablet is as follows:
- Acute/chronic Diarrhea
- Loose stools
- Mild traveler’s diarrhea
- Idiopathic diarrhea in aids patients
- Non-infective diarrhea
Side Effects Eldoper Tablet
In addition to its intended benefits, Eldoper tablet may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately. Please inform your physician if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Some of the known side effects of Eldoper are:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Some of the adverse effects due to overdosage include:
- Central Nervous system (CNS) depression
- Urinary retention
- Paralytic ileus
Children can be more sensitive to central nervous system depression compared to others in the case of overdosage.
Eldoper tablet Dosage
The Dosage of Eldoper tablet depends on age and condition of the patient. Follow the directions provided by your doctor for usage and dosage.
Contraindications for Eldoper tablet
This tablet is not recommended for use if you have a known history of allergy to Loperamide (the primary ingredient of Eldoper tablet).
This tablet is not recommended for use if you have stomach pain without loose stools.
This tablet is not recommended for use in patients suffering from an infected colon or infectious diarrhea/dysentery. The infection could be caused by Salmonella, Clostridium, Shigella or Campylobacter strains of bacteria.
Diarrhea due to consumption of antibiotics
This tablet is not recommended for use if you have an episode of diarrhea caused by consumption of an antibiotic.
Eldoper tablet – Precautions & How to Use
Following precautions must be exercised while taking this tablet:
- Take this medicine only on doctor’s prescription.
- Advised not to use along with alcohol.
- Consult the doctor in case of any overdosage happens.
- Before taking this drug, inform your doctor if you have liver problems or intestinal/stomach related problems.
- Let your doctor know if you suffer any health issues related to gastric or liver.
- Do not take Eldoper tablet if your stool is dark or black in color.
- Before taking Eldoper tablet, inform your physician if you have HIV infection/AIDS.
- This medicine should not be given to pregnant women unless directed by the doctor otherwise.
- This medicine is generally not given to children below 6 years, unless directed by the doctor otherwise.
- Consult your doctor if the symptoms of diarrhea prolong 48 hours or more.
- Consult the doctor if you observe any blood in the stools or you suffer fever.
- It is not advised to use if you are allergic to this drug or its components.
Eldoper tablet – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or other drugs at the same time, the effects of the Eldoper tablet may change. This may increase your risk for side-effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your physician about all the drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your physician can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Eldoper tablet may interact with the following medicines and products:
Substitutes for Eldoper tablet
List of substitutes for Eldoper tablet below is the list of drugs, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Eldoper tablet, and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Imodium 2 MG Capsule—Janssen
- Loperamide (Cadila) 2 mg Capsule–Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Loopra 2 MG Capsule–Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lopidus 2 MG Capsule–Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Roko 2 MG Capsule–Cipla Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!