Doxofylline is used to prevent and treat the symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Get to know how Doxofylline works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Doxofylline is not suggested.
Doxofylline (also known as doxophylline) is a xanthine derivative drug used in the treatment of asthma. It has antitussive and bronchodilator effects and acts as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor.
Mechanism of action
Generally used as bronchodilator medicine that relaxes the muscles in the airways leading to the lung and improves the amount of air flow to and from the lungs. This medicine upgrades patient condition by performing followng functions:
- Doxofylline works as a muscle relaxant of the airways.
Doxofylline Uses and Benefits
It is used for the Treatment, Control, Prevention of following symptoms and conditions:
- Constriction of airways
- Lungs inflammation
- Lung swelling
- Chronic bronchitis
There might be other uses and benefits of the Doxofylline as well. Do not use this medicine because someone has taken it with similar symptoms. Use only if recommended by your doctor.
The Doxofylline dose that is generally recommended for patients is 400 mg per day. Administration of single dose in the evening reduces nocturnal symptoms and helps the patients feel more comfortable during the day. However, in certain cases, 400 mg twice daily is recommended based on the response to treatment. The recommended dose can maximum goes up to 1,200 mg per day. if no visible improvements in symptoms after its usage, Please do consult your doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, then skip the previous dose.
Contact your doctor immediately if overdosage happens. The effects of drug overdose may include dry mouth, shaking, chest pain, convulsions, and increased heart rate.
Doxofylline – Drug interactions
The other drugs or over the counter products if you consume at same time, the effects of Doxofylline may change. And the patient will be prone to side effects or might cause your drug not to work properly. If you inform the doctor about all your health history, then it is easy for the doctor to manage or prevent drug interactions. The drugs which interact with Doxofylline includes:
Doxofylline – Contraindications
Hypersensitivity to Doxofylline is a contraindication. Doxofylline should not be used if you have the following conditions:
- Allergic reactions
Doxofylline – Precautions and How to use
- Inform your doctor, before you take Doxofylline, about your current list of drugs, over the counter products like vitamins, herbal products, etc, Allergies, present and past health status, pregnancy, and upcoming surgeries.
- Chance of adverse effects is more when this drug is used while suffering from other health problems. Inform your doctor about your present health condition to resolve such issues.
- Use the medicine as guided by your doctor.
- Dosage always depends upon your condition.
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date stated on the box.
- The drug should be kept away from the reach of children.
- Medicine can be stored at room temperature and protect from direct exposure to heat and sunlight.
- Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor and do not take extra doses.
- Inform doctor while taking the drug if your condition persists or worsens.
Before prescribing important counseling points are as follows:
- Have high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Indication of worsening asthma.
- Regularly monitor blood potassium levels.
- In women with breastfeeding and pregnancy, this drug is not prescribed.
- There are increased chances of adverse effects if the patient used for longer duration.
- This medicine does not completely cure the symptoms, but only provides temporary relief and facilitates in easier breathing.
- Patients with kidney disease should take doctor’s advice prior consuming Doxofylline.
- Avoid use of this drug if you have low calcium levels.
- Consult your doctor if you have high blood pressure or heart problems.
The following are the list of side effects that may occur from all constituent ingredients of Doxofylline. The adverse reactions may be possible, But do not always occur. Some of the side effects are rare but serious and may be life-threatening. Take advice from your doctor if you suffer any of the given side effects and if they prolong.
The adverse effects of Doxofylline are as follows:
- Tremors especially of hands
- Severe hypokalemia
- Urge to vomit
- Muscle cramps
Substitutes for Doxofylline
These are the list of medications, which have the same composition, strength, and form as doxofylline and hence they can be used as its substitutes:
- Nexophylin 650Mg Tablet – Wockhardt Ltd
- Zordox 100 MG Syrup – Cipla Ltd
- Doxoril 100 MG Injection – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt.Ltd
- Synasma 100 MG Syrup – Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd
- Fyline 100 MG Syrup – Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Doxoril M 800 Mg/10 Mg Tablet – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Rynazma 100 MG Syrup – Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd
- Bidfree 100 MG Suspension – Wockhardt Ltd
- Doxovent 400 MG Tablet – Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Doxolin 200 MG Tablet – Zydus Cadila
- Phyllin 100 MG Syrup – Rnd Laboratories Pvt. Ltd
- Freefil 100 MG Syrup – Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt. Ltd
- Oxypur 400 MG Syrup – Mars Theraputics & Chemicals Ltd
- Codofyline 400 MG Syrup – Anglo-French Drugs & Industries Ltd
- Rynazma 100 MG Injection – Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd
- Microphylline 100 MG Syrup – Micro Labs Ltd
- Doxosafe 100/5 MG/ML Syrup – Moraceae Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.