Table of Contents
- What is Dosulepin?
- Dosulepin composition
- History behind the Dosulepin
- Dosulepin Indications
- How does Dosulepin work? (Dosulepin Mechanism of Action)
- How to Take Dosulepin?
- Common Dosulepin Dose
- When to Avoid Dosulepin?
- Dosulepin Side Effects
- Effects on organs
- Warnings and Precautions
- Reported Allergic Reactions
- Effect of Dosulepin on the menstrual cycle
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Interactions with laboratory procedures
- Shows Effects / Results in (How Long Does the Effect Stay?)
- Is Dosulepin Addictive?
- Can I have Dosulepin with alcohol?
- Can I have Dosulepin When Pregnant?
- Can I have Dosulepin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Dosulepin?
- Effect of an overdose of Dosulepin
- Effect of using expired Dosulepin
- Effect of missing a dose of Dosulepin
- Storage requirements
- Available brands of Dosulepin
What is Dosulepin?
Dosulepin is a prescription medicine used to treat depression and other symptoms caused by it like mood swings, lack of interest etc. Let’s explore more details about this medicine.
Dosulepin is also known by its earlier name Dothiepin. It is a key ingredient in various brands of medicine. It is called a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA).
History behind the Dosulepin
Dosulepin was developed by SPOFA and patented in 1962. Dosulepin was initially introduced for medical use in the United Kingdom in 1969.
Dosulepin is used to treat Depression and its symptoms particularly if the symptoms are anxiety and sleeplessness.
How does Dosulepin work? (Dosulepin Mechanism of Action)
Dosulepin works by enhancing the activity of the neurotransmitters called as serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain.
How to Take Dosulepin?
This medicine is available in tablet form and is taken by oral route as prescribed by your doctor.
Common Dosulepin Dose
Dosage depends on the severalty level of the conditions and is decided by your doctor.
When to Avoid Dosulepin?
Usage of Dosulepin is not advised in some conditions like mentioned below –
- Allergic to Dosulepin
- Heart problems
- Liver problems
- In patients suffering from manic episodes of Bipolar disorder
- Patients using Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) drugs
- In patients planning to undergo any major surgery
- In pregnancy
- In nursing mothers
- Not recommended to use in children
Dosulepin Side Effects
Dosulepin may possibly show some side effects along with the intended benefits. Below mentioned are some possible side effects of Dosulepin.
- Shaking and trembling of arms and feet
- Change in heart rate
- Increase/decrease in libido
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Loss of vision or blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Excessive sweating
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty with passing urine
- Burning, numbness, tingling in the arms and feet
- Mental Confusion
- Intestinal obstruction
Effects on organs
Dosulepin may cause adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and increase the toxicity most likely in elderly patients.
Warnings and Precautions
Dosulepin is advised to use with close observation and medical supervision in case of patients suffering from heart conditions, Glaucoma, and Bipolar disorder.
Reported Allergic Reactions
No critical allergic reactions are reported typically. Let your doctor know immediately if any symptoms of allergic reactions are noticed.
Effect of Dosulepin on the menstrual cycle
Dosulepin possibly affects the menstrual cycle and result in irregular periods or no ovulation. Consult your doctor for further guidance.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Dosulepin may show possible drug interactions if used along with some medicine and hence it is advised to share the details of your current medication with your doctor before prescription to avoid complications. Mentioned below are some possible drug interactions Dosulepin can show if used together.
Interactions with laboratory procedures
Dosulepin may possibly show interactions with some laboratory procedures that include blood platelets. Let your doctor or lab technician know about your current prescription of Dosulepin before undergoing any lab tests.
Shows Effects / Results in (How Long Does the Effect Stay?)
In general the effect of the medicine is shown within an hour, but it may take nearly 3 to 4 weeks to show the results. The effectiveness of medicine may last up to 6 weeks on average but may vary case to case.
Is Dosulepin Addictive?
No drug addiction is noticed in case of Dosulepin.
Can I have Dosulepin with alcohol?
It is not advised to consume alcohol while getting treatment with Dosulepin as it can increase the possibility of dizziness and depression.
Can I have Dosulepin When Pregnant?
It is not advised to use this medicine during pregnancy.
Can I have Dosulepin when feeding a baby?
It is not advised to use this medicine in case of nursing mothers.
Can I drive after taking Dosulepin?
It is not advised to do activities like driving and operating heavy machinery while under this medication as it can make you feel dizzy.
Effect of an overdose of Dosulepin
Effect of overdose of Dosulepin may result in symptoms like –
- Altered pulse rates
- Severe drowsiness
Effect of using expired Dosulepin
The medicine may not show the intended benefits if used after expiry. Moreover it is not advised to use an expired medicine to avoid further complications.
Effect of missing a dose of Dosulepin
Missing a single dose may not show any severe effects. But if you are missing the doses regularly, keep a reminder. Never take the missed dose along with the next dose to make up the missed dose, but continue with the next schedule.
Store the medicine away from direct heat and sunlight and away from reach to kids and pets
Available brands of Dosulepin
Below mentioned brands of medicine with Dosulepin as active ingredients
- Dotheris – by Symbiosis Pharmaceuticals
- Do-Re-Me – by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Dopin – by Ind Swift Pharmaceuticals
- Exodep – by Sun Pharmaceuticals
- Prothiaden – by Abbott Pharmaceuticals
- Dothip – by Micro Labs Ltd