Cyclopam is an antispasmodic and analgesic (pain relieving) drug used for the treatment of Pain in the stomach or abdomen, Irritable bowel syndrome, menstrual pains & cramps, Fever, and other conditions. Get to know how Cyclopam works, its undesired effects, precautions, and contraindications where Cyclopam is not suggested.
Read In Hindi: Cyclopam in Hindi
Generic Names of Cyclopam
Generic name for cyclopam tablet is Dicyclomine. Dicyclomine is often combined with other generics as per the different forms/types of medication, as explained below:
- Cyclopam Tablets (10 mg-250 mg): Dicyclomine (10 mg)-Mefenamic acid (250) mg
- Cyclopam Tablets (20 mg-500 mg): Dicyclomine (20 mg)-Paracetamol (500 mg)
- Cyclopam Drops (10 mg-40 mg): Dicyclomine (10 mg)-Dimethicone (40 mg)
- Cyclopam Suspension (10 mg-40 mg): Dicyclomine (10 mg)-Simethicone (40 mg)
- Cyclopam Injections (10 mg): Dicyclomine (10 mg)
Each generic component of cyclopam is used in the following way:
It is used to treat stomach pain, periodic spasms, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), intestinal cramps, and loss of control over urination. It causes relaxation of muscles and decrease in pain and contraction. It acts by relieving the contraction of smooth muscle of the GIT (gastrointestinal tract).
It relieves mild pains like menstrual pain, headache (including a migraine), ear pain, toothache, pain in joints, fever flu, cold etc.
It is used in the management of a headache (migraine), arthritis (joint pain), menstrual pains or dysmenorrhea and dental pain. Mefenamic acid also helps in reduction of fever caused by infections.
Like dimethicone, it also manages bloating, hiccups, painful pressure, fullness caused by gas in stomach or intestines of both adults and children.
Used to treat dry skin, skin irritations, indigestion, stomach pain and bloating. Also, it finds use in scalp hair infection by head louse and hiccups too.
Cyclopam available in various forms like Oral Tablets (10 tablets per strip); Injections of 2 ml, 10 ml, and 30 ml vials; Drops of 10 ml packing; Suspension of 30 ml. The complete list of uses and indications for Cyclopam Tablet is as follows:
- Periods pain
- Pain in stomach
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Joint pain
- Painful menstruation
- Intestinal cramps
- Ear pain
- Stomach ache
- Inability to control urine
- Irritable bowel disease
- Bowel spasms
Side Effects of Cyclopam
Side effects reported with this medicine are rather rare. Nonetheless, it is important to know what they may cause. The common side effects of cyclopam tablet are:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty or pain while urinating
- Impaired alertness
- Loss of appetite
It is always advisable to report even minor side effects to your doctor. In case major or persistent side effects, the doctor may change your medication or may prescribe a more suitable dose.
- Adult dosage is up to 80mg (milligrams) in total per day divided into 4 parts (20mg tablet upto 4 times a day). It is to be taken half to 1 hour prior to meals. This should be given for one to two days.
- For children, the dosage should be prescribed by a doctor as per the condition.
Precautions for Cyclopam Tablet
Any anti-fungal medicines should be taken 2 hours earlier to this. Consuming alcohol has to be avoided as it increases certain side effects of Dicyclomine. During pregnancy, it has to be used with extra caution. Also, avoid tasks which need focus and attention like driving.
Apart from these people having a history of any of the below-listed conditions should always have the medicine prescribed by the physician:
- liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Ulcers or chronicle inflammations
- Prostate enlargement
- Hiatal hernia
Cyclopam Tablet – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or other drugs at the same time, the effects of the cyclopam tablet may change. This may increase your risk for side-effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your doctor about all the medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your physician can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Cyclopam may interact with the following medicines and products:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Sympathomimetic agents
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Substitute Medicines for Cyclopam Tablet
Below is the list of drugs, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Cyclopam, and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Afdispas 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Anglo-French Drugs & Industries Ltd
- Baralgan Nu Tablet–Sanofi India Ltd
- Berberal 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Biospas 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries
- Colinet 20Mg/500Mg Tablet–Tenet Healthcare
- Colinol 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Noel Pharma India Pvt Ltd
- Cyclo P 20mg/500mg Tablet–Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd
- Cyclomec 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–McW Healthcare
- Dolospas 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lupispas Plus 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Lupin Ltd
- Maxigan D 20Mg/500Mg Tablet–Unichem Laboratories Ltd
- Spasly 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Spasmo Corfen 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Cornel Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Spasmak 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Makers Laboratories Ltd
- Spasgun 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Wings Biotech Ltd
- Spasmak 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Makers Laboratories Ltd
- Spasmak Y 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Win-Medicare Pvt Ltd
- Swispas 20 mg/500 mg Tablet–Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd
- Spasmogil 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Galpha Laboratories Ltd
- Spasmokem 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Spasmokem G 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Spasmorid 20 Mg/500 Mg Tablet–Cipla Ltd
Frequently asked questions about cyclopam tablet
1. Is Cyclopam tablet safe to take if I am pregnant?
Only if specifically prescribed by a qualified physician as animal studies have shown adverse effects on foetus.
2. Is Cyclopam tablet safe to take if I am breastfeeding?
Only if specifically prescribed by a qualified physician as it can cause severe adverse effects in breastfed infants.
3. Can Cyclopam tablet give to Children and Infants?
Yes, it can be given to children and infants (aged more than 6 months only) but one should get it prescribed by a qualified physician.
4. Is Cyclopam tablet available as over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, but one should always consult with a doctor before administering this drug.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.