Cipcal 500 is used to treat conditions caused by low calcium levels such as osteoporosis, weak bones, osteomalacia, rickets, etc. Cipcal 500 has a balanced mix of Calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3. Get to know how Cipcal 500 works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Cipcal 500 is not suggested.
Importance of Calcium in our body
Calcium plays an essential role in the body. It is necessary for normal functioning of cells, muscle, nerves, and bone. If there is calcium not enough in the blood, then the body will take calcium from bones, thereby weakening bones. Thus intake of Calcium is necessary to keep the bones strong. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorus. Having the right amounts of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Phosphorus is important for building and keeping strong bones. Cipcal 500 is good for pregnant women after 12weeks of pregnancy for bone formation and development of the baby. Cipcal 500 is also used to treat Osteoporosis after Post-menopausal phase.
Cipcal 500 Composition and active ingredients
Cipcal 500 is composed of the following active ingredients (salts)
- Elemental Calcium – 500 MG
- Vitamin D3 – 250 IU
Cipcal 500 Uses
This medicine can be administered in the prevention, control, and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Dietary supplement
- Bones weakness
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Duodenal ulcer
- Poor Parathyroid function
- Low Calcium levels
- Renal Osteodystrophy
- Chronic renal failure
- Better absorption
- High Phosphate levels
- Post-menopausal osteoarthritis
Side Effects of Cipcal 500
Below are the common side effects that can occur from Cipcal 500. Please consult your doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Skin irritation
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Allergic rejection of the drug by body
- Muscular weakness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Increased calcium levels in blood and urine
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Ache
- Headache with fever
- Chest pain
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
- Difficulty in urination
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
Contraindications of Cipcal 500
Hypersensitivity to Cipcal 500 is a contraindication. In addition, Cipcal 500 should not be used if you have the following ailments:
- Kidney disease
- Kidney stone
- Tumor that dissolves bone
- Allergic reactions
- High amount of calcium in the blood
- High calcium levels
- Extreme loss of body water
- Incomplete or infrequent bowel movements
- Increased activity of the parathyroid gland
Cipcal 500 Dosage
The general dosage of Cipcal 500 is 1 tablet/day orally with water. For the right dosage and frequency of this tablet suitable for you, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Precautions while taking Cipcal 500
Before taking Cipcal 500 follow below-listed precautions:
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Do not take Cipcal 500 if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer.
- Avoid Cipcal 500 in patients with repeated blood transfusion.
- Cipcal 500 is contradicted in patients with problem of kidney stones
- Do not take Cipcal 500 tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Do not take this medicine in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor.
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Not recommended for patients with High phosphate and calcium levels in blood
- Do not take this drug if you have cardiac issues, harden arteries and dehydration
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
Taking more than prescribed Cipcal 500 may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
Cipcal 500 is often prescribed to pregnant women in case of calcium deficiency. It can improve the bone-building process and bone strength of fetus. Please consult your doctor before taking this drug.
You can take Cipcal 500 if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding. Consult your Doctor before taking this drug.
For children and infants
This medicine should not be given to children unless it is prescribed by a doctor.
Cipcal 500 should not be given to infants.
Cipcal 500 – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or drugs at the same time, the effects of Cipcal 500 may change, or risk of getting side effects may be higher. Let your doctor know about any other medication or vitamin, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your doctor can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Cipcal 500 may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Calcium acetate
- Potassium phosphate
- Paraffin oil
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
Substitutes for Cipcal 500
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Cipcal 500 and hence can be used as its substitute:
- SHELCAL 5000MG TABLET – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
- MAXICAL 500MG TABLET – Mankind Pharmaceuticals Limited
- OSSIVITE 500MG TABLET – Pfizer Pharmaceuticals Limited
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Ms. Nikita Saraswat graduated as a gold medalist in B. Pharma from Uttar Pradesh Technical University in 2012. Subsequently, she has earned a Master in Pharmacology from Council of Scientific Research – Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, Lucknow (CSIR-IITR). She currently serves as an Assistant Professor as well as pursuing a Ph.D. in Pharmacology. Nikita is also a passionate author who loves to keep herself updated with the latest advances in medicine and health. She regularly publishes her writings on medicine at HealthClues and has also published various research papers and healthcare books in reputed publications including the Bentham Science Journal, UGC and Clarivate Analytics indexed journals.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!