Cipcal 500 is a supplementary medicine used to treat conditions caused by low calcium levels such as osteoporosis, weak bones, Osteomalacia, rickets, etc. Cipcal 500 has a balanced mix of Calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3. Get to know how Cipcal 500 works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Cipcal 500 is not suggested.
Importance of Calcium in our body
Calcium plays an essential role in the body. It is necessary for the normal functioning of cells, muscle, nerves, and bone. If there is not enough calcium available in the blood that is absorbed from the food we consume, then the body will take calcium from bones, thereby weakening bones. Thus intake of daily recommended Calcium is necessary for strong bones. Vitamin D is essential for the body to absorb calcium and phosphorus. Having the right amounts of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Phosphorus is important for building and to maintain strong bones. Cipcal 500 is good for pregnant women after 12weeks of pregnancy for bone formation and development of the baby. Cipcal 500 is also prescribed in treating Osteoporosis in Post-menopausal phase in women.
Cipcal 500 Composition and active ingredients
- Elemental Calcium – 500 MG
- Vitamin D3 – 250 IU
Manufactured By – Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Not required as it is available as OTC medicine
Form – Syrup and tablets and sachets
Type of Drug – Calcium supplement
Cipcal 500 Uses
This medicine can be administered in the prevention, control, and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Dietary supplement
- Bones weakness
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Duodenal ulcer
- Poor Parathyroid function
- Low Calcium levels
- Renal Osteodystrophy
- Chronic renal failure
- Better absorption
- High Phosphate levels
- Post-menopausal Osteoarthritis
Osteoporosis may result in bone weakness and cause back pain due to disk degeneration of the spinal cord. In severe conditions, doctor may suggest using back supports braces like Contoured LS Support. You can visit the below link for more information on the product.
How does Cipcal 500 work?
Cipcal 500 contains elemental calcium and vitamin D as active ingredients. Calcium is very essential for strong bones and also for several other functions such as muscular, and blood vessel contractions, and for healthy nervous system. Vitamin D helps to boost the calcium absorption in the body.
Side Effects of Cipcal 500
Below are the common side effects that can occur from Cipcal 500. It is advised to consult your doctor in case of any side effects.
- Skin irritation
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Allergic rejection of the drug by the body
- Muscular weakness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Increased calcium levels in blood and urine
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Ache
- Headache with fever
- Chest pain
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
- Difficulty in urination
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
Contraindications of Cipcal 500
Hypersensitivity to Cipcal 500 is a contraindication. In addition, Cipcal 500 should not be used if you have the following ailments:
- Kidney disease
- Kidney stone
- Tumor that dissolves bone
- Allergic reactions
- High amount of calcium in the blood
- High calcium levels
- Extreme loss of body water
- Incomplete or infrequent bowel movements
- Increased activity of the parathyroid gland
Cipcal 500 Dosage
The general dosage of Cipcal 500 is 1 tablet/day orally with water. Consult your doctor to know the exact dosage that matches your requirement.
Precautions while taking Cipcal 500
Before taking Cipcal 500 follow below-listed precautions:
- Inform your doctor about your current medications
- Let your doctor know about all your current health conditions
- Do not take Cipcal 500 if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer.
- Avoid Cipcal 500 in patients with repeated blood transfusion.
- Cipcal 500 is contradicted in patients with the problem of kidney stones
- Do not take Cipcal 500 tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Do not take this medicine in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor.
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Not recommended for patients with High phosphate and calcium levels in the blood
- Do not take this medicine if you have cardiac issues, harden arteries and dehydration
- Check for the expiry date on the package and never use an expired medicine
Taking more than prescribed Cipcal 500 may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you suffer any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage and continue with the regular dosage. Do not take an extra dose.
Cipcal 500 is often prescribed to pregnant women in case of calcium deficiency. It can improve the bone-building process and bone strength of fetus. Please consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
You can take Cipcal 500 if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding. Consult your Doctor before taking this medicine.
For children and infants
- This medicine should not be given to children unless it is prescribed by a doctor.
- Cipcal 500 should not be given to infants.
Cipcal 500 – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or drugs at the same time, the effects of Cipcal 500 may change, or risk of getting side effects may be higher. Let your doctor know about any other medication or vitamin, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your doctor can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. Cipcal 500 may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Calcium acetate
- Potassium phosphate
- Paraffin oil
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
Substitutes for Cipcal 500
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Cipcal 500 and hence can be used as its substitute:
- SHELCAL 5000MG TABLET – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
- MAXICAL 500MG TABLET – Mankind Pharmaceuticals Limited
- OSSIVITE 500MG TABLET – Pfizer Pharmaceuticals Limited
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.