Table of content
- What is Calaptin?
- Calaptin Composition and Active Ingredients
- Calaptin Uses and Benefits
- How Does Calaptin Work?
- Calaptin Side Effects
- Calaptin Dosage
- Calaptin Contraindications
- Precautions while taking Calaptin
- Drug interactions of Calaptin
- Substitutes for Calaptin Tablets
What is Calaptin?
Calaptin is a medicine prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension and also prescribed in some patients suffering from cardiac (heart-related) issues to minimize the risk chest pain, angina, arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm.
Calaptin belongs to the group of medicine called calcium-channel blockers. This medicine blocks the action of calcium on blood vessels and heart rhythm and enhances the blood flow through blood vessels to the heart and decreases the pressure on the heart.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its benefits, how to use, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended and precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, etc.
Calaptin Composition and Active Ingredients
Verapamil is an active ingredient molecule in Calaptin Tablets and is available in different variants in the market.
Manufactured By – Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. and are available in different strengths as below.
Available strengths –
This medicine is available in 6 different variants.
- Calaptin 40mg Tablet
- Calaptin 80mg Tablet
- Calaptin 120mg Tablet
- Calaptin 240mg Tablet
- Calaptin 120 SR Tablet
- Calaptin 240 SR Tablet
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – Tablets
Drug Type – Belongs to the class of drugs called Calcium Channel Blockers used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure)
Calaptin Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Calaptin.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Arrhythmia (Abnormality in heart rhythm)
- Angina (Chest pain caused due to heart issues)
How Does Calaptin Work?
Verapamil, which is the key ingredient in Calaptin, belongs to the class of medicine called calcium-channel blockers. It works by blocking the action of calcium in the blood vessels and heart, aids in widening the blood vessels to ease the blood flow to the heart. As a result of this action blood pressure and chest pain that is caused by heart-related issues is reduced.
Calaptin Side Effects
When some type of medicine is used, it is very important to consider the side effects of that medicine before choosing to use.
- Orthostatic hypotension (Sensation of lightheadedness or weakness while in standing position)
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in legs
- Chills or cold sweats
- Redness of face, neck, arms, and chest
- Muscle or joint pain
Dosage of Calaptin depends on blood pressure levels and your doctor will decide the dosage and would prescribe according to your medical need. Use the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor and never alter the dosage without your doctor’s consent.
Consult your doctor immediately if any overdosage happens and you observe any overdosage symptoms. Never skip a dosage and take an extra dose to cover up the missed out dose.
Calaptin is not advised to use in some health conditions. Inform your doctor about any other health conditions you may be suffering. Below mentioned are some health conditions where the Calaptin is not advised to use.
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Cardiogenic shock
- Neuromuscular Transmission Diseases such as Myasthenia gravis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy
Precautions while taking Calaptin
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Advised to use only after consultation and only if usage is unavoidable in case of pregnancy and nursing mothers.
- It is not advised to consume alcohol while under this medication as it may cause increased dizziness or lightheadedness if this medicine is consumed along with alcohol.
- It is advised not to operate heavy machinery or driving or actions that require alertness as this medicine may cause dizziness after consumption.
Drug interactions of Calaptin
Calaptin is known to show drug interactions when used along with some medicine. It is advised to share details about any other medication if you are using to treat any other medical conditions to avoid drug interactions while using Calaptin. Below mentioned are some medications that have a chance of drug interactions when used along with Calaptin.
- Calcium supplements
Calaptin may also show some adverse effects when used in some health conditions. It is advised to share details about your health condition with your doctor before he prescribes the medicine to avoid any such criticalities. Below mentioned are some health conditions to be considered before using Calaptin.
- Liver disease – Close monitoring is needed while using this medicine in case of hepatic impairment patients
- Consumption of grapefruit juice is not recommended as it may cause increased dizziness
Substitutes for Calaptin Tablets
The below listed are the medicine with the same composition, Strength, and form as Calaptin Tablet, Hence can be used as its substitutes:
Below mentioned are various alternative brands of Calaptin medicine available:
- Vasopten 40mg Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Verpitos 40mg Tablet – Manufactured by TOSC International Pvt Ltd
- Veramil 40mg Tablet – Manufactured by Themis Medicare Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.