Brufen tablet is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), used to treat painful conditions such as Arthralgia, myalgia, fever, headache, toothache, post-operative pain, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout and pain during menstruation. It eases pain and reduces inflammation. Brufen can also be used to relieve cold and ‘flu-like’ symptoms including high temperature (fever). It can be taken by adults and by children over the age of 3 months.
How does Brufen tablet work?
It works by blocking cyclo-oxygenase, which is an enzyme that produces prostaglandins—these are chemicals produced by the body during an inflammatory response, and they are responsible for causing pain and inflammation. The effect of Ibuprofen can be observed in 30 to 60 min and the effect lasts for an average duration of Four to Six hours.
Brufen Tablet – Composition and Active Ingredients
Brufen is composed of the following active ingredient:
- Ibuprofen – 200 MG
Brufen tablet uses:
Brufen tablet reduces pain and swelling, redness or soreness (inflammation) that may occur:
- In different types of arthritis including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and in gouty arthritis
- In bone and muscle injuries such as sprains, strains, lumbago (low back pain), rheumatism, and tendonitis, such as tennis elbow
- From swelling and pain after setting broken or dislocated bones
- Periods pain (menstrual cramps)
- Post-surgery pain
- Due to dental pain
Brufen also reduces fever (high temperature). Although Brufen tablet can relieve the symptoms of pain and inflammation, it will not cure your condition.
Brufen tablet side effects:
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur from all constituting ingredients of Brufen tablet. These side-effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
- The most common Brufen tablet side effects are abdominal pain, rash, ringing in ears, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn and constipation.
- Serious side effects is ulceration of the stomach or intestine, and the ulcers may bleed
- Allergic reactions (especially in people who have asthma)
- Reduction of blood flow to the kidneys and impaired function of the kidneys
Brufen tablet contraindicated in following conditions:
Avoid if you have allergy to Brufen tablet or other NSAIDs
It is contraindicated if you are diagnosed with asthma or other respiratory complications.
If you are suffering from any bleeding disorder Brufen tablet is not recommended for you. It could cause severe swelling and bleed in the intestines, stomach, and anus.
It should be used with extreme caution in patients suffering from liver disease due to the increased risk of severe adverse effects.
Doctor’s advice for Brufen Tablet:
- Brufen is a very safe and well-tolerated medicine for short-term use
- Consuming high dose or taking long time Brufen can cause kidney problems and stomach bleeding
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, inform your doctor first. Your dose may need to be adjusted
- When you taking Brufen tablet, Avoid excess intake of alcohol, together they can affect your liver
- If you have taken overdoses of Brufen Immediately inform your doctor or contact a hospital emergency and you are feeling unwell
- Avoid taking alcohol or salicylates to prevent bleeding
- Inform your doctor if you have bruising or bleeding
- Consult your doctor if you have systemic lupus erythematosus
- Consult your doctor if you develop blurred vision, ringing or roaring in ears
- Take the drug with a meal or snack to prevent upset stomach
Taking more than prescribed dosage may cause harmful side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you find any side effects.
If you miss the dosage take as soon as possible, and if it is near to next dose, skip the missing dosage continue the regular dosage. Do not take extra doses.
Brufen is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary and the potential benefits outweigh the risks involved. It is not known to cause any harm to the fetus, but should only be used after consultation with your doctor.
It is safe to use during breastfeeding. Before taking this medicine consult your doctor.
Brufen tablets dosage and its forms:
Brufen dosage forms include:
- Brufen 200 mg
- Brufen 400 mg
- Brufen 600 mg
- Brufen 800 mg
- Brufen syrup
The dose depends on the condition. The usual dose is 600-1800 mg per day. In divided doses (e.g. 600 mg, 3 times a day). The maximum daily dose is 2400 mg! It should be taken after a meal, in order to reduce stomach upset.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Kaleem Mohammed graduated as a Bachelor of Physiotherapy in 2014 from Deccan College of Physiotherapy, affiliated to Dr. N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, India. Dr. Kaleem is an expert at handling physiotherapy needs of patients suffering from orthopedic and spinal conditions and post-surgery rehabilitation. Dr. Kaleem is associated with HealthClues since its inception where he facilitates diagnosis and advanced consultation with senior doctors. He is also a medical researcher and prolific writer who loves sharing insightful commentaries and useful tips to educate the patient community about fitness, treatment options, and post-treatment recovery.