Bromhexine is a mucolytic drug and belongs to an over the counter medication that supports the body’s mechanism for clearing mucus from the respiratory tract and especially to treat the respiratory disorders associated with viscid or excessive mucus. Get to know how Bromhexine works, its side effects, precautions.
It also has antioxidant properties. Bromhexine is a synthetic derivative of the herbal active ingredient vasicine. And it belongs to a group of medications called Mucolytics. Bromhexine manufactured by Densa pharma.
Composition of Bromhexine
Bromhexine consists of Bromhexine Hcl as an active ingredient. The drug is a Benzylamine derivative
- 2 amino-3,5-dibromo-N-cyclohexyl N- Methylbenzylamine hydrochloride
- The other alkaloids taken from the plant of adhatoda vasica.
Bromhexine Mechanism of action
Bromhexine increases sputum volume and decreases the thickened bronchial secretions in chronic bronchitis patients when it is administered orally.
It stimulates the activity of ciliated epithelium. Bromhexine increases lysosomal activity, Hence the improvement of pulmonary function in bronchitis patients.
Indication and benefits of Bromhexine
It is prescribed for the following list of treatment, control, prevention of the diseases, symptoms, and conditions:
- Chest congestion and cough
- Acute and chronic Broncho pulmonary disease
- Breathing difficulty
Dosage of Bromhexine
Bromhexine dosage depends on your age, your health condition, severity and other medications that you are currently taking.
The drug is available in tablet and liquid form. The tablets are usually taken 3 times per day, along with plenty of fluids and after meals. The syrup can be given 2 to 4 times per day.
Side effects of Bromhexine
Some side effects may be seen by active ingredients of Bromhexine. Below listed side effects may be possible, but may not necessarily occur. Following side effects are rare but life-threatening. Please visit your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects.
The following are the side effects of Bromhexine
- Skin rash
- And pain in the upper part of stomach
- Dizziness and headache
- Nocturnal enuresis
Bromhexine – Precautions and How to use
- Inform your doctor, before you use Bromhexine, about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, present and past health status, pregnancy, upcoming surgeries.
- Some of the health condition can make susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Take as exactly prescribed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert.
- Dosage always depends upon your condition.
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date stated on the medicine.
- Store the Medicine away from the reach of children.
- Use the full course of treatment.
- Bromexine can be stored at room temperature and avoid direct exposure to heat and sunlight.
- Visit or consult immediately with the doctor while taking the drug if your condition persists or worsens.
Important conselling points are
- Patient should be notified of an increase in the flow of secretions.
- If the symptoms do not subside until 14 days of usage, please consult your doctor.
- The drug should be taken under medical supervision.
- The effect of the drug may be reduced in patients with severe hepatic or renal impairment.
- Caution should be taken if advised to asthmatic patients.
A missed dose should be taken as soon as you remember. If it is near time for next dose, you can skip the previous dose and do not take a double dose.
If you have taken Bromhexine extra dose visit or consult your doctor immediately. If taken overdose, Supportive and symptomatic treatment should be provided.
Hypersensitivity to Bromhexine drug is a contraindication. Bromhexine drug is also contraindicated if you have the following symptoms or conditions:
- Impaired kidney function
- Allergic reactions
- Liver disease
Bromhexine Drug interactions
The other medications or over the counter products if you take at the same time, the effect of Bromhexine drug may change. And can increase chances of side effects or make your drug not to work properly. Inform your doctor about all your health history, hence easy to manage or prevent drug interactions.
The drug interactions of Bromhexine are:
- Nutritional supplements
- Herbal products
Substitutes of Bromhexine
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Leave a Review
How did you find the information presented in this article? Would you like us to add any other information? Help us improve by providing your rating and review comments. Thank you in advance!