Table of content
- What is Bonista?
- Bonista Composition and Active Ingredients
- Bonista Uses and Benefits
- How Does Bonista Work?
- Bonista Side Effects
- Bonista Dosage
- Bonista Contraindications
- Precautions to be taken while using Bonista
- Drug interactions of Bonista
- Substitute brands of Bonista
What is Bonista?
Bonista is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of osteoporosis in both male and female patients who have a high risk of fractures due to weak bones. In the case of women patients, it is most likely prescribed in the postmenopausal state as they are at a higher risk of possible bone fracture. This medicine is available in injection form.
Let’s explore more details about this medicine like its uses, how it works, side effects, contraindication when the medicine is not recommended, precautions to be taken before choosing the medicine, and drug interactions, etc.
Bonista Composition and Active Ingredients
Teriparatide (250mcg/ml) is the key ingredient of Bonista Injection.
Manufactured By – Bonista is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd and is available as Bonista 250 mcg/ml Solution for Injection.
Prescription – Required
Available in the Forms – This medicine is available asPenfill Injection form which is administered as subcutaneous injection mode.
Drug Type – Teriparatide which is a key ingredient in Bonista is a synthetic medicine which is similar to the naturally occurring parathyroid hormone in human beings. Teriparatide is approved by the FDA since 2002.
Protein chemical formula of the Teriparatide– C181H291N55O51S2
Bonista Uses and Benefits
Below mentioned are the recommended uses of the medicine Bonista.
Shop DonJoy Orthopedic Products on HealthClues
Are you Looking for a Knee Brace that is best in class. Check the options available at our Online Portal.
How does the medication works?
The active ingredient Teriparatide in Bonista is a kind of synthetic parathyroid hormone and it works by boosting the activity of osteoblasts. Osteoblasts are the kind of cells that aid to form new bone cells in the body. So its usage helps to strengthen the bone cells and thereby reduces the possibility of bone fractures.
Bonista Side Effects
Given below are some possible side effects of Bonista usage.
- Abdominal Pain
- Weight Loss
- Injection site reactions such as pain, swelling, redness
- Joint pains
- Cramps in the legs
Bonista may likewise cause reactions not recorded here. If any adverse effects are noticed from using Bonista, please consult your doctor as this may need immediate medical attention.
Take Bonista precisely as dictated by the specialist. It can be taken with or without food. Do not take in a bigger or smaller amount than prescribed. Consult the specialist if you encounter any unfortunate side effects of Bonista. Whenever you remember next, you can take in your missed dose. If it is nearly time for the following dose, skip the missed one, but never increase your dosage to make up the missed dosage. Seek emergency therapeutic help or contact the specialist in the event of an overdose.
Here is a set of conditions when Bonista is not recommended to use. Bonista should not be utilized on the off chance that you have the accompanying conditions:
- Not recommended to use in young patients and children where there is still natural growth of bones.
- In patients with high levels of calcium or alkaline phosphatase in the blood.
- In patients with overactive parathyroid glands.
- Patients suffering from kidney stones.
- Patients suffering from any sort of bone cancers.
- Patients receiving any kind of radiation treatment that involves exposure to bones.
Precautions to be taken while using Bonista
Precautions have to be taken in some health conditions or in some special scenarios depending on the patient’s health. Below are some examples of such conditions.
- Bonista injection is not advised to use more than 24 months as it is associated with serious adverse effects.
- This medicine is administered as a subcutaneous injection preferably at the abdominal region or thigh region.
- Some patients may experience dizziness after the administration and should be advised to stay at resting position such as sitting or lying down for some time until they feel normal.
- Bring it to your doctor’s notice if you feel low energy levels, nausea, constipation or muscle weakness.
- It is advised to use only after consulting your doctor in case of pregnancy and breastfeeding conditions.
Drug interactions of Bonista
Bonista may show drug interaction if used in combination with other medicine, hence it is not advised to use certain medication while using this one. Below mentioned are some examples of medicines that Bonista may show drug interaction with.
Medicines that interact when used along with Bonista
- Calcipotriene Topical
- Calcitriol Topical
Interaction with alcohol
- Alcohol – It may result in excessive drowsiness if used along with the consumption of alcohol. It is advised to consult your doctor if you have a habit of taking alcohol on a daily basis.
Disease interactions of Bonista
- Metabolic Bone Disorder
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Renal Impairment
It is important to share the information about the medication that you might be using with your doctor to avoid possible adverse effects.
Substitute brands of Bonista
Below mentioned brands of medicines contain the same composition as of Bonista, hence your doctor may prescribe any of them as an alternative to Bonista injection.
- Osteri – Manufactured by Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Bonmax PTH – Manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Bonista – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Gemeinde – Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Zotide – Manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Rockbon PTH – Manufactured by Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.