Table of Contents
- What is Biocorneum?
- How does Biocorneum work?
- What is scar formation?
- What is Silishield patented Silicone?
- How to Take Biocorneum?
- Common Dosage for Biocorneum
- Side-effects of Biocorneum
- Effects on organs
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Effect of Biocorneum on the menstrual cycle
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Food interactions
- Interactions with laboratory procedures:
- Shows Effects / Results in (how long does the effect stay?)
- Is Biocorneum Addictive?
- Can I have Biocorneum with alcohol?
- Can I have Biocorneum when Pregnant?
- Can I have Biocorneum when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Biocorneum?
- Effects of overdosage
- Effect of using expired?
- Effect of missing a dose of Biocorneum
- Storage requirements
What is Biocorneum?
Biocorneum is a topical gel that is used to treat scarring, itching, and swelling of the skin. It is US FDA approved Silishield patented crosslinking Silicone gel with SPF 30 and 1% Hydrocortisone acetate.
Use in brief:
- Biocorneum is used to prevent and minimize scars resulting from surgery, cosmetic procedures, trauma, wounds and burns.
- To reduce itching and swelling caused by skin rashes.
It is manufactured in the USA by Sientra.
Other products similar to Biocorneum available over the counter in the USA:
- Mederma Advanced scar Gel
- Natural scar cream
- Derma E scar cream
- MEDIHONEY Gel
- COS naturals
Other products similar to Biocorneum available over the counter in Canada:
- Scar Away
- Sinclair Kelo-Cote Gel
- Lutateo Scar cream
- Scar out Silicon scar sheets
- CICA-CARE Silicone gel sheets
- Octinoxate, Ocitsalate, Octocrylene, Oxybenzene are the main ingredients.
- Polysiloxanes, Silicon dioxide, Isopropyl Myristate are inactive ingredients.
- SPF 30 is the Sun Protection Factor 30 which acts as a sunscreen.
- 1% Hydrocortisone acetate- is a mild corticosteroid that helps reduce the itching and rashes caused due to allergies, eczema.
How does Biocorneum work?
Silishield patented Silicon present in the gel forms long chain polymers by cross-linking with silicon dioxide. This forms a thin layer on the skin which lasts up to 24 hours
Silicone present in the cream form a thin layer and keeps skin hydrated. After using Biocorneum for 2-3 months, excess collagen production in the scar area can be reduced.
SPF 30 helps as a sunscreen and helps healing the area faster.
Hydrocortisone present in the cream works as an anti-inflammatory against itchy skin, redness and swelling caused due to skin rash and burns.
What is scar formation?
Scar formation is a natural healing phenomenon of skin which occurs after injuries due to falls, accidents, surgeries, acne etc. If the scar formation followed by replacement of new skin happens within 2 weeks of time, then the skin appears normal. Scar is a fibrous tissue formed by collagen which replaces normal skin. All scars are formed by collagen but the composition of abnormal scarring is different. Scars which do not heal properly lack elasticity. Hypertrophic, keloid and atrophic scars are the types of scars.
Pictures below are –
- Normal human skin
- Skin with Scar Tissue
- Skin with reduction of the scar with Biocorneum
What is Silishield patented Silicone?
Silishield is the trademark of the company Sientra. The silicone present in Biocorneum is more advanced and lasts for a longer duration when compared to traditional silicone.
- It is used to repair the scar area by hydrating the skin surface and helps in collagen formation.
- It can be used for the face, hands, neck, chest, and areas that get exposed to sun. Apart from scar areas, it can be applied to joint areas, flexures and any irregular surfaces of the skin.
- Hydrocortisone acetate in Biocorneum helps in relieving pain and itching in the scar area or any other wounds.
- It can be used along with other scar repairing treatments like laser, Cryotherapy, Surgery.
- It can be applied along with pressure garments used to treat scars.
- SPF 30 present in this gel protects the healing scar from UV rays.
Read about – Sculptra – an injectable aesthetic dermal filler
How to Take Biocorneum?
- Clean the area of the skin with soap and let it dry.
- Apply a layer of Biocorneum gel evenly to cover the surface of the skin.
- It should be applied twice daily. However, your dermatologist may recommend a specific treatment schedule. Please follow the instructions by your doctor carefully and also read the guidelines leaflet enclosed along with the gel.
- Allow the gel to dry completely. It takes 15-20 minutes to dry
- Do not expose to sunlight until it dries. Apply it 15 minutes before exposure to the sun.
- After it dries, you can cover with cosmetics, pressure garments, etc.
- If the scar has abrasion, it can be applied thrice daily.
- It is not visible on your skin. Slight sheen may be visible after application.
Common Dosage for Biocorneum
Note: These instructions are for informative purpose only and may vary on a case by case basis.
- For recently formed scars – the usual recommended period of usage is 60 days.
- For old scars – the usual recommended period is 90 days.
- For the proper results, use the Biocorneum for the prescribed duration. It should be in contact with your skin for 24 hours to show the desired effects.
- It is not recommended for those who are allergic to Oxybenzone, Hydrocortisone acetate, and silicone-based products.
- It is not recommended for treating scars in infants less than 6 months age.
- It is not recommended for skin cancers, aging, and broken skin.
Side-effects of Biocorneum
- As it is a topical gel, it does not show any serious side effects and effects on organs.
- After applying Biocorneum for the first time, if you find skin rash, hives or any allergic symptoms stop using it and please consult your dermatologist.
- Allergic reactions like swelling of the lips, face or neck can cause breathing difficulty which happens very rarely.
- Avoid contact with eyes and do not swallow the gel. Please seek doctor’s advice if you have accidentally swallowed the gel. Wash your hands after applying it.
- Prolonged use can cause thinning of the skin and widening of the blood vessels.
Effects on organs
- Effects on organs are rare as it is used for topical application.
- Blurred vision is a very rare effect on eyes.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
A very serious allergic reaction to this gel is rare. Please consult your doctor if you observe signs of rash, redness, and swelling after applying the gel.
Effect on menstrual cycle
As it is used for topical application, it will not show any effects on menstrual cycles.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
It can be used along with other topical creams. Please consult your dermatologist before using this gel and notify him if you are already applying any topical creams.
As it is used for topical application, there will not be interactions with specific foods. Notify your doctor if you are allergic to any foods.
Interactions with laboratory procedures
No known interactions with laboratory procedures.
Shows Effects / Results in (how long does the effect stay?)
Biocorneum stays on the skin surface for 24hours. The Silishield patented Silicone is known for its longer duration of action. For the best results it should be used for the prescribed number of days.
Is Biocorneum Addictive?
As it is used for topical application, addiction is not possible.
Can I have Biocorneum with alcohol?
It is safe for people who consume alcohol. However, excess intake of alcohol in general reduces the healing process.
Can I have Biocorneum when Pregnant?
It is safe during pregnancy. It can be used for healing stretch marks. Consult your health care provider before using this during pregnancy.
Can I have Biocorneum when feeding a baby?
It is safe for breast feeding women. However, it should not be applied on the breasts while breast feeding.
Can I drive after taking Biocorneum?
It is safe to drive after applying the Biocorneum gel.
Effects of over dosage
If you squeeze too much of the gel, wipe off with a tissue or cloth. Applying excess gel will not spread evenly on the skin surface and may not give you best results.
Effect of using expired?
Using expired Biocorneum may not give you the intended results. Expiry date will be given on the label/carton/bottle.
Effect of missing a dose of Biocorneum
If you forget to use the gel, apply it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next dose, skip the missed dose and apply the next dose of gel.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Keep out of reach of pets.
- Store at below 25°C. Do not freeze.
- Bottles should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste.
Dr. Divya has been pursuing Dentistry for about 5 years now. Endodontics and Orthodontics are her areas of interest and she holds a BDS degree from Govt. Dental College, Vijayawada, AP. Besides pursuing her career as a Dentist, she is passionate about Technical writing and is spending her free time in writing medical articles to bring awareness and share medical knowledge to the public.