Beetroots are one of the healthiest foods you can juice. Drinking beetroot juice can have various positive effects on your health. A glass of beetroot can give you all the vitamins and minerals. Beetroots are in bright color and are ignored because of its distinctive taste, but it is a super food around the world. It is essentially healthy so make sure you incorporate it into your daily diet.
Nutritional value of beetroot
Beetroot has a lot of benefits for skin, hair, and health.
A glass of beetroot juice consists:
- 58 calories
- 2g protein
- 13g carbohydrate
Vitamins and minerals: it contains
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
How does beetroot juice work?
- Beetroot juice has excellent properties of antioxidants. Oxidation process is an important role of beetroot juice, in which it produces free radicals that can cause damage at cellular level, which causes signs of aging. When you take beetroot juice that contains antioxidants which neutralize the free radicals, thus prevents wrinkles and fine lines.
- Beetroot juice contains vitamin C that helps to reduce pigmentation and discoloration of skin and promotes skin tone.
- It also moisturizes the skin by removing the layer of dead cells and keeps your skin hydrated.
- It controls and prevents hair loss because it has nutrient potassium which is needed for hair growth.
- It prevents cancer by its anti-carcinogenic property, the actual component that presents in beetroot juice called Betanin.
- Beetroot juice helps your body to excrete toxins.
Health benefits of beetroot juice
Beetroot juice has got many benefits that help in prevention and management of following conditions and symptoms and are listed below:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves liver function
- Prevents cancer
- Improves strength and stamina
- Prevents dementia
- Helps in digestion
- Reduces inflammation
- Cures arthritis
- Prevents free radical damage
- Body cleanser
- Fight against anemia
- Prevents atherosclerosis
- Controls diabetes
The dose of beetroot juices
Beetroot juice dose varies according to the age, health and other conditions of the user. Not all the natural products are safe, so dosage is also important. It is beneficial to have beetroot juice in the early morning or one hour before the breakfast. In a day you can drink a 200ml glass of beetroot juice, to enjoy all its benefits. It is advised to drink the juice freshly or else the nutritional value of the juice diminishes.
How to prepare healthy beetroot juice
Things that are needed for preparation are
- Medium size beets
- Vegetable juicer
- Drinking glass
If you want to sweeten your beetroot juice you can also add carrot, or an apple, or a small lemon. The juice can also be used as makeup.
- Select two or four medium sized
- Soak them in a bowl for 5-10 minutes and wash them by using soft scrub and water.
- Peel them and cut into pieces
- Put them in a juicer and place them under the spout of the juicer to collect the juice.
When you prepare beetroot juice it should be consumed right away. Because the juice may degrade if stored for a long time due to oxidation and heat generation in the juice while its preparation. You can store in the refrigerator for few days. Also, you can add lemon that helps as a natural preservative. But it should be stored in an airtight glass container. You can also store it by freezing but results in loss of nutrients.
Side effects of beetroot juice
The side effects that are caused by properties of beets. The following side effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of these side effects are rare and can be serious. Please visit your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects.
- It higher the sugar levels.
- Drinking beetroot juice may change the normal color of your urine and feces.
- It is not recommended to drink in the night because it leaves stains on your teeth.
- Stomach upset.
- Changes in blood pressure.
- Kidney stones.
- Should not exceed 3 times a week.
- Allergic reactions.
- Beeturia (change in color of your urine and feces).
Contraindications of beetroot juice
Despite its health benefits, it is not recommended to use in some conditions. The conditions are listed below:
- Kidney stones or kidney disease
- Blood pressure