What is Augmentin 625?
Augmentin 625 is an antibiotic used to treat conditions such as Bacterial infections, Skin and soft tissue infections, Respiratory tract infections, Sinusitis, UTI, Post-surgical Infections. Get to know how Augmentin 625 works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Augmentin 625 is not suggested.
Composition of Augmentin 625
Augmentin 625, the brand-name form of amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid, is a prescription medication used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria. It is a product containing 2 medications, amoxicillin, and Clavulanic acid.
- Amoxicillin belongs to a group of medication called penicillin antibiotics, which work by stopping the bacterial growth.
- Another ingredient of Augmentin 625 is Clavulanic acid. It belongs to beta-lactamase inhibitors group, which work by preventing the bacteria from destroying amoxicillin.
Manufactured by – Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Required
Available forms of medicine – Tablet, Syrup, and Injection
Type of medicine – Antibiotic
Augmentin 625 Uses
Otitis Media (Ear Infection)
Augmentin 625 is used to treat infections in the middle ear caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
Bone and joint infections
Augmentin 625 is used to treat infections in the Bone and joint infections caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria
Respiratory Tract Infection
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infections in the airways leading to the lungs. The infection can be Pneumonia, acute bronchitis or others caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
Skin and soft tissue Infection
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infections of skin and skin structure caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infections in the nose and nasal chamber caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infections in the throat and airways leading to lungs namely Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
Urinary Tract Infection UTI
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infections of urinary tube, bladder (Cystitis) and kidneys (Pyelonephritis).
Gonorrhea and associated infections
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of Gonorrhea and associated infections in the urinary tube and the region around the reproductive organs in both male and female.
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori. It is normally used in combination with other medicines.
Augmentin 625 is used in the prevention of a condition where the inner walls of the heart gets swollen.
Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of infection of gums that result in formation of pus around the roots of the tooth.
How does Augmentin 625 work?
This means that the Augmentin 625 has the capacity of killing the bacteria or stopping the bacteria from multiplying further called bacteriostatic.
Side Effects of Augmentin 625
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur from all constituting ingredients of Augmentin 625. These side-effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your physician if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away. The Common side effects of Augmentin 625 include:
- Skin reactions such as rash, itching
- Raised itchy rash (hives)
- Joint Pain
- Skin yellowing
- Tooth Discoloration
- Nausea or vomiting
- Altered sense of taste
Report side effects to your doctor if they continue for an extended period.
Augmentin 625 Dosage
Augmentin 625 available in tablet, chewable tablet, and powder for oral suspension forms, the dosage is:
- Adults and children ≥ 40 kg: One Augmentin 625 mg dose taken 3 times a day
- Children < 40 kg: 20 mg/5 mg/kg/day to 60 mg/15 mg/kg/day given in 3 divided doses.
- Children aged Six years or less should preferably be treated with Co-amoxiclav oral suspension or sachets.
Augmentin 625 – precautions & How to use
Before taking Augmentin 625, tell your pharmacist or doctor if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your doctor for more information.
Before using this Augmentin 625, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction, Hypersensitivity to any penicillin, and Penicillin hypersensitivity
Before having this medicine, tell your doctor about all the products you use (including herbal products, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs).
- Do not take it for more than Two weeks
- Do periodic assessment of renal, hepatic or hematopoietic functions
- Hepatic dysfunction or liver disease or liver problems
- Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea
- Consult your doctor immediately if you develop watery or bloody diarrhea during or after this medication
- Diarrhea is a common problem
During pregnancy, Augmentin 625 should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the benefits and risks with your healthcare professional.
It is unknown if Augmentin 625 passes into breast milk. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before breast-feeding.
Take Augmentin 625 in the dose and duration as advised by your physician. Swallow it as a whole. Do not crush, chew or break it. It is better to take Augmentin with food.
Augmentin 625 Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or other drugs at the same time, the effects of the Augmentin 625 may change. This may increase your risk for side-effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your physician about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, herbal supplements, and vitamins. Especially tell your physician if you take. Augmentin 625 may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Warfarin (Jantoven, Coumadin)
- Probenecid (Benemid)
- Allopurinol (Zyloprim)
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
Substitutes for Augmentin 625
Below is the list of drugs, which have the same composition, strength, and form as Augmentin 625, and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Axcve 625 Mg Tablet – Axis Labs Pvt Ltd
- Acuclav 625 Tablet – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Biclopen Cv Tablet – P & B Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Boxyclav 625 Mg Tablet – Bion Therapeutics India Pvt Ltd
- Clamross-CV 625 Duo Tablet – Emami Frank Ross Ltd
- Estamox Cv 625 Tablet – Estrellas Life Sciences Pvt Ltd
- Hactamox 500mg/125mg Tablet – Ravenbhel Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Kilban Tablet – Profess Health Products P Ltd
- Marclox 500mg/125mg Tablet – Mars Aventis Lifecare
- Pyrobact -625 Tablet – Aspen Pharma
- Gladyclav 625 Tablet – Uvb Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Lactaclav 500Mg/125Mg Tablet – Lupitas Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Penom Clav 500 Mg/125 Mg Tablet – Apostle Remedies
- Prioclav 500mg/125mg Tablet – Mediprio Pharmaceuticals pvt Ltd
- Tusmax Clav 500mg/125mg Tablet – Tusker Pharma Pvt Ltd
- Symbiotik Xl Plus 500 Mg/125 Mg Tablet – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Trimoclav 500Mg/125Mg Tablet – Triglobal Bioscience Pvt Ltd
- TYUCLAV 625MG TABLET – Login Pharma Pub Pvt Ltd
- Xclav 500 Mg/125 Mg Tablet – Maxamus International
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.