What is Ascoril Syrup?
Ascoril syrup is a cough syrup that belongs to a group of drugs called expectorant medicine that is used to treat health conditions like Cough, Congestion in Chest, Asthma, Breathing disorders, Cold, Sinusitis and Bronchitis.
Get to know how Ascoril syrup works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Ascoril syrup is not advised.
Active ingredients of Ascoril Syrup
The key ingredients in this medicine are
- Guaifenesin – 50mg/5ml
- Bromhexine – 2mg/5ml
- Terbutaline – 1.25mg/5ml
- Menthol – 0.5mg/5ml
Manufactured by– Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Not required as it is available as OTC
Form – Available as Syrup
Type of Drug – Cough syrup
Uses of Ascoril Syrup
Ascoril cough syrup is used to treat symptoms like a common cold, cough, chest congestion, stuffy nose, etc caused due to upper/lower respiratory tract infection, common cold, bronchitis, asthma, smoking, allergy, etc.
How the Ascoril Syrup Works?
- Guaifenesin is an expectorant which is used to increase bronchial secretion (sputum) or reduce its viscosity, facilitating its removal by coughing.
- Bromhexine makes the mucous thin and loose thus making it easier in coughing out.
- Terbutaline acts as a bronchodilator and helps in relaxing the muscles involved in airway thus facilitating easier breathing.
The combination of all these three ingredients helps to remove the mucus from the trachea and make the breathing easy.
How to use Ascoril Syrup?
- Ascoril Syrup is available in syrup form. Use the medicine in measurement and dosage schedules as prescribed by the doctor.
- Advised to shake the syrup bottle well before using it, to make sure the medicine is distributed properly in the bottle.
- Drink plenty of fluids while using this medication as it will help loosen the mucus and thus its easier removal
- Complete the dosage schedule as prescribed by the doctor
Side effects of Ascoril Syrup
When we use some drug for treating any health problem, there are chances of getting some side effects. These side effects are rare and might not occur in everyone. If you suffer any kind of side effects or if your condition gets worse, it is strongly advised to consult your doctor for proper advice. Side effects associated with ascoril syrup include:
- Upset Stomach
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Dry nose
- Dry throat
Precautions to be taken before using Ascoril Syrup
Before using the Ascoril Syrup, it is advised to consult your doctor. Let him know about any medication or any kind of health supplements like multivitamins or herbal supplements that you are using. Inform him about your current health condition especially if you are suffering from any health problems related to liver or kidneys for a long time. Here are some precautions to be taken while using this medicine.
- It is advised to consult the doctor before you start using this medicine.
- Inform your doctor about any other OTC medicine or health supplements if are using any, which would help your doctor to take necessary precautions and prescribe the medicine accordingly to avoid any possible side effects.
- Stop using the medicine and consult your doctor immediately if you experience any severe side effects like breathing difficulty, an allergic reaction like swelling in face, tongue or throat. Possibility of such side effects is very rare.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is advised to consult your doctor before you use this medicine.
- Don’t use without consulting your doctor if you are suffering any long term health problems like asthma, or any other lung related problems.
- While using this medicine, if you are undergoing any diagnostic tests like urine test, the results of lab tests may get affected. So it is advised you inform the lab technician who conducts the tests or doctor treating you that you are using this medicine.
Ascoril Syrup Contraindications
Let’s look into the conditions where this medicine is not advised to use. Below mentioned are few.
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredient of this medicine.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding mother.
- If you have any breathing difficulty conditions.
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease
Ascoril Syrup Drug interactions
If any two or more drugs are used at the same time, there are chances of adverse effects and also the medicine might not work as intended. Let your doctor know about any other medicine or supplements or any health products you are using to avoid any possible side effects. Drug interaction is possible with below-mentioned drugs or products.
Substitutes for Ascoril Syrup
Below mentioned are some medicine with the same combination similar to Ascoril Syrup and hence your doctor may prescribe as alternative medicine.
- Ambrodil LX Syrup – Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Levolin Plus Syrup – Cipla Ltd
- Asthalin AX Syrup – Cipla Ltd
- Viscodyne LS Plus Syrup – Wockhardt Ltd
- Solvin LS Syrup – Ipca Laboratories Ltd
- Asthakind LS Expectorant – Mankind Pharma Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Srishti Tayal is Chief Radiologist at Radiodent – Dental and Maxillofacial Imaging. She has completed BDS and MDS with Gold Medal from JSS Medical College, Mysore. She is a passionate medical researcher and has published five research papers in various medical journals and received an award for the best scientific paper.
In addition to following her pursuits in dentistry, she is also an avid medical writer who believes in bridging the information gap among the common population with regards to modern medicine.