Almox 500 Capsules belong to a group of drugs called penicillins. This medication is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. This antibiotic treats only bacterial infections. Get to know how Almox 500 works, its side effects, precautions, and contraindications where Almox 500 is not suggested.
Amoxicillin (500mg) is the key ingredient in this medicine.
How does Almox 500 work?
Almox 500 belongs to a class of medications called quinolone antibiotics. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These medicines are often used to treat similar conditions. Alkem Laboratories Ltd manufactures the drug Almox 500. It is a Prescription medicine. Please consult your doctor before using this medicine.
Amoxicillin works by killing the bacteria that are causing an infection by inhibiting the DNA replication. You should only use this medication to treat bacterial infections. It will not work for viral infections (such as flu & common cold). It is useful for treating infections such as urine infections, chest infections, skin and soft tissue infections, and some STD’s (sexually transmitted infections). Some infections can be treated with a single tablet; others require a course of treatment lasting a week or so.
Almox 500 Uses and benefits
Almox 500 is prescription medicine used to treat bacterial infections. Below mentioned are few conditions and diseases. It is strongly advised to use this medicine only if you are prescribed to.
Almox 500 Capsule is used in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia which is a most common type of lung infection caused by Haemophilus influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Urethritis is an inflammatory condition of the urethra caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Klebsiella. This medicine is useful in treating this condition.
Almox 500 Capsule used in the treatment of bronchitis which is an inflammation of lungs caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and some Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
Almox 500 Capsule used in the treatment of Traveler’s Diarrhea which is caused Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) bacteria.
Almox 500 Capsule is used in the treatment of cystitis which is a bladder infection caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci E.coli, and Klebsiella pneumoniae.
Salmonella Enteric Fever
Almox 500 Capsule is used to treat salmonella enteric fever which is caused by Salmonella typhi.
Almox 500 Capsule used in the treatment of Pyelonephritis which is a type of kidney infection caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Enterococci.
Skin and Structure Infection
Almox 500 Capsule is used in the treatment of Skin and Structure infection like cellulitis, wound infection and cutaneous abscess caused by Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes.
Infections of urethra and cervix
Almox 500 Capsule is used to treat mixed Infections of the urethra and cervix which are caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis.
Almox 500 Capsule is used in the treat Shigellosis which is caused by bacteria called Shigella.
Almox 500 side effects
In addition to its intended benefits, Amoxicillin may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately. Please inform your physician if you notice any adverse reaction to the medication. Check with your physician immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking Amoxicillin:
- Upset stomach
- A headache
- Light-headedness or trouble sleeping
If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your physician promptly. Remember that your physician has prescribed this drug because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.
Tell your physician right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
- Signs of a new infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat)
- Signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine)
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Signs of liver problems (such as unusual tiredness, stomach pain, persistent vomiting and nausea, yellowing eyes or skin, dark urine)
Contraindications for Almox 500
Amoxicillin contraindicated in following conditions:
This drug is not recommended for use if you have a known allergy to Amoxicillin or any other quinolones.
Amoxicillin is not recommended for use if you have a past history of myasthenia gravis or family history of myasthenia gravis (weakness and rapid tiring of muscles which are under voluntary control).
Tendon rupture or Tendinitis
This drug is not recommended for use if you have a past history of tendinitis or tendon rupture after using Amoxicillin or any other quinolones.
Precautions while taking Amoxicillin
- Never take antibiotic medicines for a viral infection like a cold or the flu.
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your physician even if you feel better.
- If you notice any side effects; stop taking Amoxicillin immediately and consult your physician.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney, epilepsy or heart diseases.
- Inform your doctor about any allergies you have, or if you are allergic to Amoxicillin
- Let your doctor know about your medical history, especially of: severe kidney problems, have a history of tendon problems like Rheumatoid arthritis, or have received an organ (example; kidney, heart, or lung) transplant.
- Before having this medicine, tell your physician about all the products you use (including herbal products, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs).
- Amoxicillin should be used only when it is clearly needed while you are pregnant. Discuss the benefits and risks with your physician.
- It is unknown if Amoxicillin passes into breast milk. Discuss the risks and benefits with your physician before breastfeeding.
Amoxicillin should be taken exactly as directed by your physician. The usual dosage is described below:
You should take your Almox 500 Capsules swallowed whole with a glass of water and with food, take this medicine depending on your condition and your physician’s recommendation. You should avoid taking Amoxicillin while drinking alcohol, as you may experience some unpleasant effects, including vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps, headache, and fast heartbeat. You should complete the course of Amoxicillin, which is usually for 6-10 days, even if you are feeling better or the infection may not clear up completely.
Amoxicillin – Drug Interactions
If you use other over the counter products or other drugs at the same time, the effects of the drug may change. This may increase your risk for side-effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Tell your physician about all the drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are using, so that your physician can help you prevent or manage drug interactions. This medicine may interact with the following medicines and products:
- Metal Cations
- Drugs metabolized by Cytochrome P450 enzymes
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Antidiabetic Agents (e.g., insulin, glyburide/glibenclamide)
Substitutes for Almox 500 Capsules
Below is the list of medicines with similar composition, strength, and form as Almox 500 Capsules and hence can be used as its substitute:
- Moxnova 500mg Tablet – Cipla Ltd
- Germox 500mg Capsule – Zydus Cadila
- Moxway 500mg Capsule – Mankind Pharma Ltd
If for some reason an experienced doctor is not available around you, then you can contact us here.
Dr. Kaleem Mohammed graduated as a Bachelor of Physiotherapy in 2014 from Deccan College of Physiotherapy, affiliated to Dr. N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, India. Dr. Kaleem is an expert at handling physiotherapy needs of patients suffering from orthopedic and spinal conditions and post-surgery rehabilitation. Dr. Kaleem is associated with HealthClues since its inception where he facilitates diagnosis and advanced consultation with senior doctors. He is also a medical researcher and prolific writer who loves sharing insightful commentaries and useful tips to educate the patient community about fitness, treatment options, and post-treatment recovery.